Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP My Son's Having Problems Giving Up The Pacifier! (UPDATE)

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:16 AM
  • 26 Replies
Ok before anyone freaks out I'll go a head and admit I got myself & child into this mess. I was one of those 1st time moms who swore I would never___. I gave in at 6 months when trying to sleep train my son. He took it for the 1st time since being born (he never liked pacifiers before). Well that was the end of that! His teeth came in real late. So I let him keep it he calls it his "bubble". Kind of looks like a bubble I guess. Anyways, he's almost 3, will be June 11th. Its been time to say bye bye to bubble since his last tooth came in 3 months ago. I was dreading it! I kept saying ok next week, next week. Well last Monday I started with poking a whole in bubble I gave it too him during the day (I never do that he gets it at nap & night time bed that's it). But I wanted to see how my son would react. Nothing! So at nap time last Monday I cut off the tip. He kept it in his mouth like nothing was wrong with it till last Thursday at nap time. I cut off a little more, he said Momma "its broken".I said "what happened?" He said " I don't know it's broken". But kept it anyway. Well i cut off a bit more this Monday. Nope nothing, he still wanted it. Well last night (Wednesday night). I cut off more now its too the point he cant keep it in his mouth. But wont let it go. Keeps saying "it's broken". He woke up a million times trying to make excuses for why he wouldn't sleep. But I knew it was the bubble. He couldn't keep it in his mouth. I finally took it. I told him another baby needs this bubble. I will give it too him. Big boys don't need bubbles. He said "okay momma" gave it too me. Then again kept waking up or just not sleeping and getting up. He never cried like I thought he would. He kept asking for it. I finally caved (I know shame on me) I gave the broken bubble back. Why won't he let it go? I know it's his comfort but I am trying to make it so unusable that he don't want it. It's not working! Sorry for the book but help! I felt horrible taking it away like I did. Even though he seemed to understand he's a big boy and he don't need it. I told him I would never take his favorite blankie from him. Thinking that would make it easier for him to give up bubble. Nope I guess not :-(

(UPDATE) 5/8: I sent him to school without his bubble yesterday 5/7. So he didn't take a nap with it. I threw away all 10 bubbles. I broke down his convertible crib yesterday afternoon. When he came home he said he loves his new big boy bed. I made a big deal about him being a big boy. That night he asked for his bubble. But I reminded him he gave it too a new baby that needed it more. He cried a little, then slept through the night! I couldn't believe it! Then today 5/8 at nap time he cried for it again. Woke up once. I reminded him again he's a big boy. He slept for 2 hours! He's doing great with his toddler bed. No railings needed so far. I hope it stays this easy forever.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MarriedMyPrince
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 1:18 AM
He finally did sleep for the night when I gave the bubble back. Am I going about this all wrong?
MarriedMyPrince
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM
Bump
MarriedMyPrince
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 9:45 AM
Bump
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM
I had to take it away from my kids cold turkey. My daughter wouldn't nap after I did but it worked out because she went to sleep at night easier. My son complained for a few nights but then was fine.
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Sorry Mama! We did it cold turkey as well. It was rough for a day or two as she would wake up looking for it in the middle of the night. 

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:51 AM
My kids weaned themselves it was weird as Zi was expecting a battle. Maybe a bubble fairy can come and leave toys lol
johnny4ever
by on May. 8, 2015 at 8:18 AM

We weaned our son ..it was rough but so glad when he didnt want that binkie anymore.

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM
I see this in my future. Dd just turned two and only gets it at bed time and nap time but would have it all day if I let her. I dread taking it away
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 8, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Love this idea on the bubble fairy :)

Quoting ablackdolphin: My kids weaned themselves it was weird as Zi was expecting a battle. Maybe a bubble fairy can come and leave toys lol

Jukebox_Jenny
by on May. 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
It'll likely take more than one night. He's had it for years.

You could try replacing it with a lovely or just giving it time. He may be unhappy for a few nights without it. That would be very normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)