Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared of the toilet

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:58 PM
  • 25 Replies
My daughter is nearly three and she has been doing really well on the potty but she's scared to go on the big toilet. Even at preschool where they have toddler toilets she won't go, her teacher said she totally freaked out to a point she wasn't comfortable pushing the matter with her. My daughter has always been scared of public toilets whenever we go in them she'll stand in the corner and cover her eyes until we leave it doesn't matter how much I've tried to calm or distract her with something else she's really up a height until we leave. We're at a point now where she isn't wearing nappies at home and is really enjoying getting to go to the potty and she is so proud of herself but we will have to put a nappy on for preschool because she gets so distressed. I've tried stickers and a special toilet seat etc but we're not getting anywhere. I know she is still young but it just really concerns me that she freaks out so much she even kicked her teacher which is really out of character. Has anyone had the same problem? What did you do? Thanks x
by on May. 7, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:40 PM
I think this is fairly common and it just takes time. I would leave it alone for a while and then revisit it.
StarLight23
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Could she have a fear of falling off/or into the toilet? The toilet seats we use are way too big for tiny bottoms.

Does she see her friends using the bathroom? This could work in your favor if she sees everyone else doing it.

Minimonsters
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:00 PM
Thanks I know I'm probably just being a bit of a stress head. With my son he was just at home so it was totally stress free we just spent a week in. I know I'm probably putting to much pressure on her ive stopped mentioning the toilet and I'm just hoping she'll come around soon

Quoting LuLuRex: I think this is fairly common and it just takes time. I would leave it alone for a while and then revisit it.
Minimonsters
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM
She sees all the family using the toilet, she's always in for a chat! I used to have one of those toddler / adult toilet seats but annoyingly we've moved recently and we now have a square toilet so it doesn't fit. Instead I bought a plastic elsa and Anna seat that fits on the toilet which she was really impressed with until she realised what it was for so now she hates it. I don't know why as hates them so much since she was a baby she has always freaked in bathrooms and nothing really calms her unless she's staring in the mirrors

Quoting StarLight23:

Could she have a fear of falling off/or into the toilet? The toilet seats we use are way too big for tiny bottoms.

Does she see her friends using the bathroom? This could work in your favor if she sees everyone else doing it.

StarLight23
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Is it possible to put a mirror on the wall facing the toilet?

Or you can have a hand held (child safe) mirror for her to hold when she goes potty.

Just some things I thought about.

Quoting Minimonsters: She sees all the family using the toilet, she's always in for a chat! I used to have one of those toddler / adult toilet seats but annoyingly we've moved recently and we now have a square toilet so it doesn't fit. Instead I bought a plastic elsa and Anna seat that fits on the toilet which she was really impressed with until she realised what it was for so now she hates it. I don't know why as hates them so much since she was a baby she has always freaked in bathrooms and nothing really calms her unless she's staring in the mirrors
Quoting StarLight23:

johnny4ever
by on May. 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Sounds common to me.Personally I WILL NOT go in a Porto Potty..scares the heck out of me!

Minimonsters
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM
Might give that a go actually although she's already pretty vain I'm might be fuleing a fire here!

Quoting StarLight23:

Is it possible to put a mirror on the wall facing the toilet?

Or you can have a hand held (child safe) mirror for her to hold when she goes potty.

Just some things I thought about.

Quoting Minimonsters: She sees all the family using the toilet, she's always in for a chat! I used to have one of those toddler / adult toilet seats but annoyingly we've moved recently and we now have a square toilet so it doesn't fit. Instead I bought a plastic elsa and Anna seat that fits on the toilet which she was really impressed with until she realised what it was for so now she hates it. I don't know why as hates them so much since she was a baby she has always freaked in bathrooms and nothing really calms her unless she's staring in the mirrors

Quoting StarLight23:

LaniBee
by on May. 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM

My oldest DD was terrified of all toilets. She hated the noise of the flushing mostly, so when she would go I had to wait for her to leave the bathroom to flush. She got over it somewhere around age 4. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I agree with the others,
It should work itself out ;)

sanj1213
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Not sure how common this is, Ds never freaked out. I hope it can resolve itself. God luck momma.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)