Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tantrums

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 5:36 PM
  • 19 Replies

My four year old son is starting to throw very wild tantrums. Usually when he doesn't get something he wants/when I tell him no. He will scream, throw things, sometimes hit! Anyone out there have the same experience? Any advice, what has worked best for you when dealing with tantrums? 

by on May. 7, 2015 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StarLight23
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Hmm. I dealt with this behavior way before my son was four.

Every time he would try to hit, I would say Hitting hurts!

Your son should know that throwing things can hurt people.

Just every time you see these behaviors, give an immediate consequence.

Time out.. and Oh, unless he is trying to hurt himself or other people, ignore the tantrum entirely.

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:47 AM
Time outs helped us
goddess99
by on May. 8, 2015 at 8:33 AM

It's a phase, take away the things that mean the most to him as a punishment. (toys, tv time, etc) Be consistent.

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:53 AM
I remove dd from the situation. Or if we are at home I ignore the behavior. Do not give in to a child having a tantrum.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Consequences for his actions .. time outs help,
Good luck :)

mommy6232011
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 12:31 PM
I'm going through the same thing! My daughter will be 4 next month and has never acted this she behaved did everything I asked her. Here recently she has been throwing these fits and not listening to me telling me "no" she'll act like she's going to hit me and throws stuff across the room. I do timeouts but honestly not as much as I should I try to tell her what she is doing wrong I thought that would help but hasn't so I'm going to have to have to be more consistent with the timeouts. Earlier she took a toy from her little brother and I made her give it back to him and give him a hug and kiss and tell him sorry. I told her it wasn't nice she was being mean to her brother and she looks at me and says ' no! I wasn't being mean to him" to me that's back talking. She's normally a wonderful big sister she's very over-protective of him. I can't help to think I'm doing something wrong for her to just start acting like this out of the blue. I'm not for sure if she sees kids in her class act like this or what.
sanj1213
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 12:51 PM
Ds has had one tantrum only, he's 4. When he doesn't listen we take away his most favorite toys for one day to one week. Depending on the behavior.
TigerofMu
by on May. 8, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Staying calm, continue saying no, and restrain if necessary.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on May. 8, 2015 at 1:43 PM
I put him in his room, explain that when he chooses to be calm he can come back out and talk about it. If he needs help with something he can use his words and tell me and I'll help him work it out.
la_bella_vita
by on May. 8, 2015 at 2:38 PM

I would put him in his room and explain that's not the right way to express emotions and I ask them to use their wods. I have found kneeling and making eye contact helps, they like when they can look in your eyes instead of you towering over them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)