Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning Game Systems

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Did you get your child a learning tablet?  I had lots of friends with kids that had the Leapster, etc. but didn't get my kids any due to the expense of the systems and games.  We have an iPad that we download educational games onto and also use learning websites.  

However, I got a Vtech Innotab 3 Plus for my DD4 for her birthday this past weekend. I'm really impressed with the graphics and the wide range of activities she can do with it. I'm glad we waited for the tablet type version.  I got her the clearanced one that's technically an older model, but it does just fine by us!  Plus a lot of the games are marked way down from around $25 to $9-$13.  

Now I'm thinking about getting one for DS6 with the more advanced games for reading/math.

Have you gotten your kid(s) one, and if so did you like it?

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:37 PM
We've gone through a couple types but I got my DD a kids kindle and it's my favorite so far!
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:48 PM
Nope my oldest ds has a laptop and later on ds 2 will get a toddler version of Games.
by Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

My older son had a Leapster Explorer, which we will probably get for my younger one for his 2nd birthday. My older son LOVES video games though. He also has a Leapband, its a watch that has a virtual pet on it that he takes care of and plays mini games with. It's supposed to promote activity because the pet wants you to do jumping jacks with it, and stuff like that.

The leapster explorer was great. We got him a game "Sing and Learn with Us!" My younger son has the DVD version of it atm. I like the game because it is interactive and requires them to actually think about things. Which is why we usually play video games over watching tv to begin with. This particular game teaches phonics (sounds of letters) and combines them into small words, and eventually sentences. I really do think it had a lot to do with my son being very advanced in reading.

We don't have any kind of tablets or ipads or anything. Those are too expensive. This was only $35. We are thinking about doing abc mouse though. I'm just not sure my 22 month old is old enough for it yet, and like I said, no tablet. I'm not sure he would handle a mouse on the computer very well. He is very independent and would get mad if I tried to help him.

by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 12:44 PM

We have had a leappad.... they are JUNK.  Our first one stopped recharging after about a year... we had a warranty and replaced it with one that had a rechargeable battery pack, thinking we would avoid that problem.... WRONG... same thing happened! 

My son did enjoy it when it worked though... but I thought most of the games that were "educational" were a waste.... he did have a couple of games, Mr Pencil I think they were called, that were really good. 

Currently we don't have any hand held gaming systems... my 6 year old becomes very OBSESSED with screens, so we are just avoiding the temptation.

by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2015 at 1:49 PM

We have v-smile pockets that we have had sine my older two were little an dmy youngest has a leappad

by Member on Jun. 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM
He has a nabi and used to have an iPad 2 but we took it away from him. He was using the iPad 2 since before he was 1 and now being 3, he finally managed to crack the screen :-/ It still works but we have yet to replace the screen so now we use it. He still uses his nabi but he def liked the iPad better. His little brother was given a nabi junior on his 1st birthday last month but he doesn't really use it so sometimes big bro will use it when his is dead lol.
by Member on Jun. 5, 2015 at 10:29 AM

my ds (8) has a leapster explorer, but he has pretty much grown out of the games, they only go up to age 7. 

So we are passing them on down to my dd (18 months) she pushes the buttons now, doesnt really play the games, but I think she eventually will.

by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM

We had some and the kids loved them

by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2015 at 1:43 PM

We had a leappad2 and it broke after a year.  Now the kids use my tablet and do learning games on it.

by on Jun. 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM

We bought our grandson a Leap - something or other - when he was 3 and as far as I know he doesn't use it. He just turned 5 a couple weeks ago and he uses my iPad or Pepe's tablet whenever he's here at our house. He works my old iPhone pretty hard as well.

When our girls were that young, there weren't any smart phones and handheld devices so they just used our laptops or, in the case of my oldest DD and DH's son - the ginormous desktop with the educational disks. Reader Rabbit was very popular 20+ years ago!  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)