Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Over-Bearing Grandmother

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 1:44 AM
  • 26 Replies

So my second son is turning 1 in a week, so my mom got him a present, which I think is awesome that she can do something for him even though she lives 1600 miles away.

The problem is what she got him, A 6V battery powered Disney's Mater Quad. Now in her defence it does say that it is for ages 18 months-3 years, and he has been showing to be a little quicker in motor skills developement than the average 1 year old.

My problem is that; 1: My 3 year old son has one that is Lightning McQueen, that he will soon be growing out of just in time for the one year old to want to use it. 2: We live in a small apartment, with very limited storage space, and no room for them to use the one that they have let alone add another one to the mix. since we moved into this apartment it has sat in the closet collecting dust because we dont need to have it. 

I just wish she would have talked to me about what she was planning on sending, being that it is such a large item. She just sent it and didn't consider that we don't live in the big house we used to. She knows that we resently had to downsize for finacial reasons, she knows we had to sell a lot of our stuff to even fit in this tiny apartment, and she knows that we not only have another baby on the way but that we have a teenager living with us now. 

I just dont know how to tell her that we have to return it, she isn't exactly the understanding type, she is more of the 'everything is an attack on her' type. What do I do, do I tell her that we got it and love it, and then return it without telling her, or do we tell her that we got it and love it but dont have room for it, and risk her getting butt hurt because she cant handle rejection?

I mean she is just so unpredictable with her responses and I have already twice in the last month had her break down and act like I dont love and respect her because I had to do something other than what she wanted.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife-4-life
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 2:01 AM
That stinks. Sorry.

What if you donated the car and kept the quad? That way you still have just one vehicle and not two AND she won't be offended. Or sell the car on Craigslist or something to earn a little $$.
Wulf
by Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with wife-4-life! That way in the event that she comes to visit, the gift will still be there! And also its brand new! :D I would get rid of the older one and make some cash! good luck!

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:00 AM
Next tome I would get a jump on it and talk to her in advance.
AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM
I would tell her that you love the thought and her generosity, but you just don't have the room. I would let her know you have to return it, and maybe give her some things that you had in mind to exchange it for. That way she is still picking the gift.
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM
This is a good idea.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: I would tell her that you love the thought and her generosity, but you just don't have the room. I would let her know you have to return it, and maybe give her some things that you had in mind to exchange it for. That way she is still picking the gift.
timon95
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM

good idea

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: I would tell her that you love the thought and her generosity, but you just don't have the room. I would let her know you have to return it, and maybe give her some things that you had in mind to exchange it for. That way she is still picking the gift.

family car

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this! I would be very thankful and would donate or seel the used car and keep the present. Also maybe use this as a good reason to take walks and them ride the bike on your walks.

Quoting wife-4-life: That stinks. Sorry. What if you donated the car and kept the quad? That way you still have just one vehicle and not two AND she won't be offended. Or sell the car on Craigslist or something to earn a little $$.

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely talk to your mom and explain to her that you so appreciate the present but right now space is at a premium and in the future you would appreciate if she would check with you first.  I would keep the new present and sell the one that you are not using as well.

LaniBee
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Oh gosh, I feel for you in this situation. I would go ahead and sell the older the one, but I would definitely tell my mother what I had to do because there simply is no room for that kind of stuff anymore. If she doesn't learn to accept what's going on, she's likely to keep putting you in this condundrum!  

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM
I would just be honest with her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)