Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching self help skills

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM
  • 26 Replies
My dd is 4 and will be starting preschool next Thursday. She is good at doing everything herself except for wiping her own butt. I told her today after she went poop to show me how she did it herself. She kind of did it, but got poop on her fingers. How can I teach her to clean herself without getting poop all over everywhere? I don't expect her to get it down fully by then, but something learned would be good.
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM

You show her how you get enough toilet paper, wipe her bottom for her, than have her do this. Keep doing this with her each time she potties and she will have it down. She will have moments when it gets on her hands or she doesn't clean enough. Be patient and keep helping her. and don't change when it doesn't work for 2- 3 plus days, just keep doing the same thing so she won't get confused. 

mamamedic69
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Just keep having her practice and she will get it.

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM
This!!

Quoting mamamedic69:

Just keep having her practice and she will get it.

RobynS
by Robyn on Aug. 9, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Very good advice! I always worried that my kids wouldn't get themselves clean enough.

Quoting virginiamama71:

You show her how you get enough toilet paper, wipe her bottom for her, than have her do this. Keep doing this with her each time she potties and she will have it down. She will have moments when it gets on her hands or she doesn't clean enough. Be patient and keep helping her. and don't change when it doesn't work for 2- 3 plus days, just keep doing the same thing so she won't get confused. 

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 7:22 PM

I always have her get a little more toilet paper than I would use.  I tell her to wipe, and then get some more paper and wipe again.  I tell her its important to wipe until its clean and you feel comfortable. 

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 7:25 PM
I just had to keep practicing with my youngest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lcherniske
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 8:03 PM
I always just did it after them until they were successful. My oldest I started teaching around 2 1/2 when he was potty trained. He resisted doing it alone and I told him I don't wipe 5-yr olds so before his birthday I finally got him doing it. He was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and has sensory issues and was terrified of touching it. My younges is 3 1/2 and I have been trying to potty train him for over a year now. I haven't even started with the wiping- figured I would wait until he stopped with the daily accidents. It's messy enough when he is not fast enough and takes his own pants and underwear off and climbs on toilet...😩
timon95
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM

keep practicing and telling her or showing her how to do it

DelilahsMom4108
by on Aug. 10, 2015 at 9:31 AM
I always taught my kids to fold the toilet paper over their fingers so they wouldn't get anything on them. But then would focus more on making sure they really knew how to wash hands extremely well.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Just keep trying and she'll get it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)