Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 yr old grand son just dosent get the potty thing

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM
  • 25 Replies

Ok, here we go. We are rasing two of our three grandboys, the kids were taken away for the 2 youngest got out of the house and almost got hit by a car. The women  in the car called the police they called CPS. They have not been with there parents for 2 yrs now but they do see them one day a mo. for 2 hrs.

The 5 yr old just will not poop in the toliet,. He does wear under wear during the day and a pull up at night and the reason why to be honest I got so tired of cleaning up his mess and cleaning sheets that is all I was doing. This child I love him so much but I am out of ideas.  He is not a clean person at all in spite of what we teach him. The other day he said to me I like picking my nose and eatting it, I asked why he said it is good. I now we have all done this at that age at least I did but to me it is very gross, he wont brush his teeth in the AM or Pm and b/c he poops so much i have to make sure he has cleaned his butt right. When he takes a shower he poops in the shower when he takes a bath he poops in the bath. He pees himself just about every day. He will not change his pee pee clothes unless we make him.

He hide his pee and poop under wear in the room or bathroom and it starts to smell we know he has tryed to hide it again. His room always smells like pee, he is just not Clean. Right now the 3 year old is starting to take after his brother so now I have two doing the same thing. There older brother is in foster care he has some big time issues and that is why he is there, but he use to do the same thing. He still does it and he will be 9 here soon. I guess I shouldnt complain to much he use to put on the bathroom walls. We have tried all the games you can think of even rewards it works for a few days and we are back where we started.

We got a new tea cup poodle about a week ago and yesterday he said can I strangle yr dog, I need help ladies please anything I will try it but this NaNa is getting no where it seems. I have read allot of books, done what we did with the 5 kids we raised that hasnt worked either. I just want to pull my hair out and go hide myself. Thats the issue I deal with every day, Please help this NANA.

Sorry its a little long BUT I have shorten it allot. Thanks so much

by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Sounds like he has something going on more deep than potty training if he says he ants to strangle your dog ! I would go seek help for him right away !
AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:42 PM

I don't think we will have the answers... I think his issues are a lot deeper than an understanding of how to use the toilet.... I doubt that it has to do with "potty training". I'd speak to a therapist about it... 

yvonne37
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM

oh my!.. im sorry you are going though all this, that is a lot to take in.

this is what i would do:  I would call child protective service and ask for help, they should have appointed you a case worker. tell them whats going on, these kids need profesional help... the puppy thing would have scared the hek out of me.  Dont make it look as if you want to give up and you cant do it, just tell them you need advice.  I dont know the story but these kids seems to have been through a lot and phychological help is needed.

hang in there.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Quoting AmiJanell:

I don't think we will have the answers... I think his issues are a lot deeper than an understanding of how to use the toilet.... I doubt that it has to do with "potty training". I'd speak to a therapist about it... 

I agree...

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 1:48 PM

This is serious.You need to find a counselor

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

he needs therapy. alot more was going on in that house, than a child getting out and almost getting hit by a car. 

sanj1213
by Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM
I agree with the therapy. Good luck
mamamedic69
by on Aug. 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM

He has other issues going on and may need some professional help. I big warning sign is wanting to strangle the dog. Get some help from the CPS worker assigned to them. Hang in there and (((hugs)))

motherofzandz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Could they have been sexually abused? I hate to say that but sometimes these issues are a sign of that. I do think they need more help than any online forum can give you. Therapy and seeing their doctor would be my first steps. I wish you the best of luck, I know it feels hard now but keep reminding yourself giving them a safe and happy home is worth it 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 3:29 PM
I agree with counseling and I would stop the pull ups and make him clean the mess with your supervision.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)