Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Year old touching herself - advice?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM
  • 43 Replies

While watching movie trailers on my laptop, my daughter who is watching some tv before going to bed sits in front of me on the floor, and when I look down to see whether she is still there, I notice her hand down her pajama pants, and she is touching herself. I know since potty training and me talking to her about her private area, and how no one else besides mommy can wash there, not even the nanny, she has become a bit more curious about that specific area. I have never seen her do this before, and I am more than a little bit freaked out right now. She has no history of any kind of abuse - I know some moms would want to know that. She is a very curious child. She does not watch anything on tv where sex and kissing between adults are concerned. I immediately google it because obviously being a first time mom this is completely unexplored territory, and after reading some articles stating that its "normal" - I thought the best way to feel better is to get real mom advice. Maybe someone has experienced this before with their toddler? 

Any comments or advice is more than welcome. 

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Uhura
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

She's touching herself because it feels good, more than likely.

There's nothing wrong with it.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

ChandreyEJ
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Quoting Uhura:

I have no clue how to approach this. Im not even sure whether to make my husband aware of this. I definitely cannot speak to my mother about this she will immediately take it to another level. 

wife-4-life
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:14 PM
3 moms liked this
A lot of adults don't understand, because to us it's sexual. Toddler are not aware of "sexual" things. To her it feels good and can give a feeling a relaxing.
Now whether you allow her to do it or not is up to you as the mom. 2 out of my 3 girls did it, but if I saw them doing it I explained we don't do that when people are around. I don't want her to feel like the feeling is bad and to grow up being ashamed of her body or feelings but I also don't want her doing it when people are around. My 5 yo has outgrown it but my 4year still does it at nap and bedtime. To be honest, I think it helps her wind down to sleep. I don't know. Lol. My 2-1/2yo hasn't started exploring at all.
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, it is normal. Just tell her that we do that in the private of our room.
Uhura
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:03 PM

If you make a big deal, it'll be a big deal. Unless she's touching herself in public, there's no reason to even address it.

Quoting ChandreyEJ:

Quoting Uhura:

I have no clue how to approach this. Im not even sure whether to make my husband aware of this. I definitely cannot speak to my mother about this she will immediately take it to another level. 

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

TwinkleStars918
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:07 PM
I've also told my son it's not acceptable in common areas, but he may do it in his room. It's normal and not a big deal. It lasted a few months after he was potty trained.

A toddler is not going to make a connection between discovering a body part that was previously covered by her diaper, and adults kissing on TV.
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:23 PM
I just tell my kids its something they are allowed to do in their rooms in private and not in front of other people. And remind them of that if i see them doing it with someone around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbntaej
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
It's normal, mama. I freaked out when my girls hit that stage, to the point of getting myself sick over it. Good luck!
AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Both of my kids have done this... boy and girl... and it seems more interesting to them around this age. My daughter is 3 and she is constantly touching... I just make her wash her hands.  

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Its normal. I would let her know its somthing she should do in her own room, not out so everyone sees what she is up to.

I have a 4 year old ds. He penis is his best friend. I dont even stay in the bathroom when hes taking a bath anymore. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)