Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dad Attacked Online for Building 2-Year-Old Son a Play Kitchen

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:48 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dad Attacked Online for Building 2-Year-Old Son a Play Kitchen

People can be so cruel that you have to wonder why their home training went out the window the second they discovered a computer. Andrew Hook is beyond pissed after Internet trolls called his 2-year-old son a homophobic slur, all because little Owen enjoys kitchenware.

Let me give that to you one more time: Grown adults called 2-year-old Owen a "f--got" because his liking kitchen playsets will "turn him gay."

What?!

None of us should be amazed at the level of stupidity our society has, but targeting a child, a toddler, with such hurtful words is downright disgusting. Seriously, who the heck spends their day trolling for things online before deciding, "Yup, I'ma give this 2-year-old and his family a piece of my mind"?

I see nothing wrong with Andrew creating this kitchen playset out of an old entertainment center for his son's second birthday. If you request food each day, why can't you practice your skills in the kitchen -- especially if you enjoy helping your parents cook?!

Andrew deserves a gold star for a.) spending $19.99 at the Goodwill to create this DIY masterpiece (um, have you seen the cost of toys today?), and b.) not tapping into his emergency fund to get the bail money he'd need, after he found out where these jokers lived. I think "f--k you" was very kind, given the situation...

I swear, people today will test your patience to no end, and while I do agree in the importance of letting things roll off your back, this right here is deplorable.

There are so many popular male chefs who likely had an Easy-Bake Oven or some sort of kitchen-friendly toy growing up. Thank goodness their parents didn't tell them kitchen sets were only for women, and vice versa for girls being told certain items are only for boys.

My 1 1/2-year-old loves watching me cook in the kitchen, and he also has fun cleaning (he's a wizard with the mop). I've thought about getting him a kitchen playset so he can whip up something "plastically delicious" for us to enjoy. Should he not play with kitchen playsets because he's a boy? As much as I love cooking for my family, this mama isn't going to follow him around his entire life just so I can whip up a meal when he needs one. If he's going to survive, he better learn sooner than later how to boil some water, and use a slow-cooker -- or land a job that affords him the luxury of ordering take-out three times a day.

Boys playing with kitchen playsets with "turn you gay"...

Don't make me get my spatula.

Image via sixstringhook/Imgur

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Elsey8486
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:08 PM
All those idiot will feel real stupid when this kid is a rich famous chef one day.
mamatink7
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:24 PM
What an awesome idea to do! This looks amazing. Those rediculers are morons and have no idea what they are saying.
mcmlxxxv
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:43 PM
People are so ignorant.

Who decided men can't cook? Why is that even a notion? My daughter loves playing with cars, which is considered a boy thing, but why? Do women not own and drive cars?

Also, that kitchen is super adorable. What a great repurpose idea!
boredmomof1
by on Oct. 27, 2015 at 8:07 AM
I have 2 brothers that are excellent cooks. They learned by watching and helping NY mom in the kutchen. Neither one is gay. Both are happily married to their wives.
athorne
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2015 at 8:14 AM
People can be so ignorant thinking that something like this makes a boy gay. We all have to eat.
KitKatt27
by Member on Oct. 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM

This is awesome. I wish I would have thought of it when we saw someone throwing out a hutch. I would have taken it but I just didn't have the space for something I wouldn't actually use (I ended up taking the bottom cabinets that my son uses as a desk).

It's ridiculous how people would outright say those things about a 2 year old boy too. They must have been trolls on a blogsite or wherever this was orginally posted. Trolls says such things just to mess with people's emotions because they think it is funny. Happens all the time on the internet, you would never see them do this in person.

I know the "make him gay" thing though. My oldest's favorite color is pink. Which I have no problem with. However, the other kids at school tease him and even my own father has condoned it (although he doesn't really say all that much because he knows it's not his place). My son is very smart though, he knows its not socially acceptable for boys to like pink. Although he doesn't understand why. So now at school he uses pink, but puts other colors in his projects too. Then the kids don't have a problem with it. If we purchase things that stay at home he always picks out pink things. If it's something he will have at school, like his shoes, he usually picks a blue color. It's sad that he he has to censor what he lets everyone see because people can't teach their children correctly. However, he is really mature about it and handles it in a way that allows him to enjoy his favorite color without the critizism of others.

What is ironic is that the professional cooking world is dominated by male chefs. You can watch the cooking network all day long and see that. There are even female chefs that come on there saying how much harder they have to work to prove themselves, because of the fact it is dominated by males. Also, not that it really matters, but the majority of those chefs aren't Gay either. Also, for more irony, every single preschool I have ever seen has a play kitchen set in it that is used for "centers" time. Not to mention many Kindergarten and learning support rooms have them too. I bet those people saying "it will turn him gay" have boys playing with a kitchen set right now at school, haha.

kitcal78
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:16 PM
People really show how ignorant they are bashing a kid who likes to cook. Seriously who cares if he is a boy. News flash haters boys make great chefs. Watch The Cooking Channel FFS.
bresmommy21
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Wow is that a kool set up. I am just at awww with peoples stupidity now a days. Crazy!!!

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:17 PM
That's a cool play kitchen. My DS likes pretending to cook while I make dinner, so I'm genuinely concerned I may be turning him into someone that will be able to do more in the kitchen then operate the microwave.
kiamsunflower
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Erm... are these idiots aware that the culinary industry is still a heavily male-dominated industry?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)