Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What sort of a pre-school is enriching?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

I came across these different kind of pre-schools, which one should be the best and beneficial for my 3 year old?

Breaking Down Preschools

Montessori

An educational approach developed by Maria Montessori that is characterized by a focus on independence, mixed age classrooms, a range of activity options from which students may choose, uninterrupted blocks of “work time,” freedom of movement within the classroom, and a “discovery” model of learning, meaning that students learn from working with materials, rather than from direct instruction.

Reggio Emilia

The Reggio Emilia approach views children as curious, independent learners who partner with their educators in learning. The approach emphasizes project work that allows children to focus on a selected topic in great detail, with both their own documents (art work, stories, etc.) and those of their educators (photos, videos, etc.) relating the children’s experiences and progress.

Play-based Preschool

An umbrella term that describes many preschool programs, play-based programs are usually broken into sections, like a science area, a reading nook, a space with toys, etc. Kids develop social skills like cooperation, as well as academic skills like early math or how signs work, all while playing with the materials available.

Waldorf

A preschool Waldorf education is built around activities like nature walks and outdoor play, as well as art activities and imaginative play, all designed to strengthen a child’s emotional, social and cognitive development. Teachers provide a safe environment that encourages a child’s natural curiosity. The presence of wooden toys and natural materials and the absence of computers and other electronics are a hallmark of a Waldorf school.

Academic Preschool

Another umbrella term that describes programs where teachers offer a more structured environment with planned activities through which children are guided.

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:14 PM

I'd choose a Waldorf preschool if there was one near and affordable

Most in our area are play-based, and a few (very expensive) are Montessori

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:45 PM

I would visit each and make a determination out of the tour.  I was going to try Montessori but did not like the schools I visited.  I ended up in a play based one and my little one loves it.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Mine didnt go to pre school. 

KAmamaJ
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:55 PM
Mine didn't go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:18 PM
I agree with this, overall you need to feel comfortable with the place. Dd is 2 and I am just starting to look into it

Quoting momofnatalie:

I would visit each and make a determination out of the tour.  I was going to try Montessori but did not like the schools I visited.  I ended up in a play based one and my little one loves it.

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:36 PM
Dd's program is largely play based with some structured time. We looked at a Montessori program, but I wasn't impressed with it in comparison to what we were already doing at home.
IHateSpam
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:38 PM
Nothing academic based.

The true origins of Waldorf disgust me so based on the fact I have morals I wouldn't send my son to one.

He attends a play based two days a week with me.
chbamb2001
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 12:16 AM

depends on your child and their learning style/personality. whatever one you choose, stay the hell away from the "academic" preschool. It violates the very nature of a three year old developing child and sets unrealistic expectations. For a three year old, the best method is from natural discovery and play with very, very, very little "structured" instruction. Montessori would be my first choice.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 12:20 AM
What about Waldorf schools disgust you?

Quoting IHateSpam: Nothing academic based.

The true origins of Waldorf disgust me so based on the fact I have morals I wouldn't send my son to one.

He attends a play based two days a week with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 12:32 AM
I think it all depends on the child and their learning style. Also, what do you want? What learning style suits you more also? I like acedemic, structure. Kids need sstructur.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)