Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kid is hitting me

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:47 PM
  • 50 Replies
Dd will be 4 in 3 months. Very smart, very verbal, very creative. Loves to read and act. I'm a sahm and she's my only child. I try to balance playing with her and letting her entertain herself. She's very affectionate and kind most of the time, but she's quick to anger and when she doesn't get her way she hits me. I'm the only one she hits. It's not hard but the intention is there. She won't/can't tell me why she does it, and she just gets more angry when I try to explain why we don't hit. We don't spank but today I lost it and smacked her back in the upper arm; not hard but it shocked her and she cried and then I felt like shit. She's napping now. How do I get her to stop? TIA.
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Just do what you did. She will learn sooner then later. My daughter would sometimes hit or kick and I'll do it back not hard but she does cry. She spits in her brothers face when we were in Iowa visiting dhs mom and dad sisters and our nephews and brother in law.

It was a Sunday went to councle bluffs after church. Came home DD spit told her to come over and I spit right in her face she looked at me started bawling her eyes out everyone e stared at me like what was going on. Lol. She hasn't spit at him or any one.
timon95
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:20 PM
Just be consistent with disciplining her and telling her no. Start to punish her or take things away. If she needs to be spanked then spank her. Eventually she will learn
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:11 PM
I pop my son Jacob 4 year old when he pushed me or hit me.
mama2b100808
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:52 PM
Don't hit back! Hitting makes it worst for now yes it scared her but it only makes it worst mainly when you are telling her not to hit.

I have been there I know. Do time outs. Take things away. She is testing you.
Koam
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:09 PM
It was a gut response; I'm not proud of it but I'm just so sick of it. I still feel bad about it and it's been hours.

The only things that it upsets her to take away are books. When I tell her I'm going to take a book she freaks out and it gets worse. Let her freak out?

Quoting mama2b100808: Don't hit back! Hitting makes it worst for now yes it scared her but it only makes it worst mainly when you are telling her not to hit.

Koam
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:10 PM
Is this a normal phase then?
Gabbysmom615
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:11 PM

my kids have never hit or kicked me! they know better! stop them now

mama2b100808
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I know! I done it once myself and felt bad. Yes take the books away and let her freak out. Then she will know not to hit and throwing fits don't get her way.

Yes it is a phrase and it will take time. But you are mommy not a best friend.

Quoting Koam: It was a gut response; I'm not proud of it but I'm just so sick of it. I still feel bad about it and it's been hours.

The only things that it upsets her to take away are books. When I tell her I'm going to take a book she freaks out and it gets worse. Let her freak out?

Quoting mama2b100808: Don't hit back! Hitting makes it worst for now yes it scared her but it only makes it worst mainly when you are telling her not to hit.

okpondlady
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:41 PM

I have learned over the years with spitting, hitting, pinching, biting, whatever.  Do it back just as hard as they did.  They will stop.  It might take 2 times but they will get the point.   

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:54 PM
Wow idk that never happened to me...I would begin taking away toys and making life verrry boring
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)