Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Age difference and chores

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:18 PM
  • 23 Replies
Ok so I have a 5 year old and a two year old both girls and they share a room I want there room to stay clean I make them p8c km up toys put blankets on bed and pit laundry in basket but ot sees like it takes over an hour for a twenty minutes job how can I motivate them to clean and what jobs should I expect my 2 year old to do
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My two year old cleans up all his toys, puts his clothes in the laundry, puts dishes in the sink, throws his napkin in the garbage, he 'helps' me dust.
Now, sometimes he cleans his toys very well, and sometimes he gets very distracted and pulls other things out. I have to redirect him and then I help him clean up and tell him to get back to cleaning, we sing the clean up song together.
I'm not really sure what to expect out of a 5 year old, since I don't have one, but maybe tell her they have 10 minutes to clean up their room, go back in and tell them they have 5 minutes and show your two year old where things go.aybe tell your five year old to show the little one how to clean up.
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:59 PM
My kids help clean up toys. In their room, we clean it every time we leave the room. In the playroom, they can leave out the toys & we clean it a few times a month so I can vacuum - toys like Legos, the marble run, and their train set are spread out everywhere
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My two and five year olds share a room. My five year old is getting capable of making her and her brother's beds. Both kids put clothes in their hamper, put books on the bookshelf, and put toys away. I still have to give the two year old specific instructions ("Pick up the books. Put them on the shelf. Pick up the stuffed animal. Put it on the chair..." etc.), but he's getting the hang of it. If I don't directly supervise them, they take much longer to clean up.
goddess99
by on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:35 AM

The 2 year old can pick up laundry and toys. Make it fun. Play music and see if they can finish before the song ends.

Bob192
by on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:42 AM

I would just have them do a little bit at a time.  Then break to play and try again later.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:53 AM

help them too! the 2yo can pick up stuff off the floor

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:02 AM
My kids were taught to put the clothes in the hamper as soon as I took them off. They also had to clean up before every bedtime and before every meal.
mama2b100808
by Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:09 AM

If you help them and make up a cleaning song it will be fun and faster. 

Mobile Photo

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Should be able to help put toys away :)

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM
Put toys away, put their clothes away
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)