Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know anyone whose child has gone to play therapy?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

My friend just told me that it was recommended to her that her son goes to play therapy. He's 5 and going to kindergarten in September. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:43 PM

No, I don't know anyone who has

VivaciousFaith
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:45 PM

I did as a child. I don't even recall how old I was. It was after my grandma died. From what I remember I'd say it was beneficial. 

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM
Nope never heard of it.
butzi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My 5 year old did for about a year from when she was 4- until 5. She struggles with anxiety and abandonment issues (she is not biologically ours). She would go in with the therapist and they would draw, play with play dough, play with studies, or the doll house and they talked while they played. We got to the bottom of a lot of her thinking through this method. We are temporarily relocated at the moment but will probably continue when we go back home.
terra52590
by Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 4:36 AM
1 mom liked this
My 4 year old goes for anxiety. She stopped going for almost a year but we had to go back after our house burned down :/ She loves her therapist and is upset when she asks to go play with Mr. Jeff and it's not therapy day lol. They go in the play room for an hr and he plays with what ever she wants to play which she typically just paints, plays dolls, kitchen or plays in the sand box. He talks to her while playing and gets a lot from it. You would be surprised how much a kid would tell you while you play with them lol.
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Wow that's really good insight. I guess when they are relaxed and playing, they let their guard down and it allows  them to open up.

Quoting terra52590: My 4 year old goes for anxiety. She stopped going for almost a year but we had to go back after our house burned down :/ She loves her therapist and is upset when she asks to go play with Mr. Jeff and it's not therapy day lol. They go in the play room for an hr and he plays with what ever she wants to play which she typically just paints, plays dolls, kitchen or plays in the sand box. He talks to her while playing and gets a lot from it. You would be surprised how much a kid would tell you while you play with them lol.

JTE11
by on Mar. 14, 2016 at 4:19 PM
My dd and I had a kind of play therapy for attachment issues and it basically saved us, it made all of the difference to us.
AA2.0
by Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 1:56 AM

I'm actually looking into this for my 8 year old. It seems extremely beneficial from what I've seen.

Marie207
by on Mar. 15, 2016 at 2:20 AM

What is play therapy?  There are way too many therapist in kids lives today, way too dam many.  "play therapy".  lol   The other kids will teach him how to play.  lol  lol  I pray this therapist don't put your kids on meds too.  I can just hear some mom now, "my kid has meds in order to play with others.  lol  lol  Keep your kids away from the therapist and you do some teaching and rearing, (without the drugs).

Marie207
by on Mar. 15, 2016 at 2:26 AM

Have you ever tried doing what "Mr. Jeff" does.  Takes special time with your child and stop letting your daughter rely on playing with some strange grown man in therapy.  You talk to your child.  The anxiety will be grown out of without therapy, and meds.  That baby is only 4.

Quoting terra52590: My 4 year old goes for anxiety. She stopped going for almost a year but we had to go back after our house burned down :/ She loves her therapist and is upset when she asks to go play with Mr. Jeff and it's not therapy day lol. They go in the play room for an hr and he plays with what ever she wants to play which she typically just paints, plays dolls, kitchen or plays in the sand box. He talks to her while playing and gets a lot from it. You would be surprised how much a kid would tell you while you play with them lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)