Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Knock-Knees

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:54 AM
  • 21 Replies

I noticed around the time my son started walking that he had knock-knees (although I didn't know what it was called). I pointed it out to his Pediatrician and she didn't seem concerned at all with it and it kind of bothered me. Now, he is 3 and it doesn't seem to be getting better. From all the research I've done on it, they say it should correct itself by age 5, but if it is still present at age 7 braces or surgery should be looked into.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Did/does your child have it and did it correct itself?

Thanks!

by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Kelly
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM

My friend's daughter has this and she's been going to physical therapy for it since she turned two in November.

PeacefulPoet
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Did your friend push for PT, or did the Pediatrician?

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:41 PM
I'm sorry, I've had no experience with this.
.Angelica.
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:32 PM
I'm not sure what it even is
PeacefulPoet
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a condition where your knees touch, but your shins turn outward so your ankles do not touch. Here is a picture (this is not my son, but taken from google images)

Quoting .Angelica.: I'm not sure what it even is

PeacefulPoet
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Mobile Photo

This is my son at Halloween. You can see it here in his gait.
kmeow
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:39 PM
My seventeen year old sister has knock-knees. She has to wear special shoe inserts and braces when she runs, that's pretty much it. It hasn't affected her in any way really, she is on the cross country team at school and is on track to a state title in tennis this year. She just looks kind of dorky is all lol.
PeacefulPoet
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Other than braces and orthotics now in her teens, did they do anything for her as a child that you know of? Physical therapy? When did she start with orthotics?

Quoting kmeow: My seventeen year old sister has knock-knees. She has to wear special shoe inserts and braces when she runs, that's pretty much it. It hasn't affected her in any way really, she is on the cross country team at school and is on track to a state title in tennis this year. She just looks kind of dorky is all lol.

kmeow
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:58 PM
Nope, no physical therapy or anything like that. She started the orthotics around late elementary school, and the braces when she was getting serious about sports, like age twelve or so. Her doctor was pretty "wait and see" about it all, and Until then they hadn't bothered her. She wears her braces occasionally when she isn't at sports of she did a lot of activity the day before or is just having a bad day, but most of the time just the orthotics and she does fine.

Quoting PeacefulPoet:

Other than braces and orthotics now in her teens, did they do anything for her as a child that you know of? Physical therapy? When did she start with orthotics?

Quoting kmeow: My seventeen year old sister has knock-knees. She has to wear special shoe inserts and braces when she runs, that's pretty much it. It hasn't affected her in any way really, she is on the cross country team at school and is on track to a state title in tennis this year. She just looks kind of dorky is all lol.

delanna6two
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Hi, here is a help link:
https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/orthopedic/Pages/Bowlegs-and-Knock-Knees.aspx 

One of my little ones had not knock knees but extreme bow legs and we were told it would improve and it did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)