Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty struggles

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM
  • 39 Replies
Not technically a preschooler but this is definitely more of a preschool issue.

DS is 6 and in public school first grade. He is a July birthday and is the youngest and smallest in his class. He will more than likely repeat next year. He has been very late and inconsistent with potty training. He is never dry overnightand still wears a diaper to bed. He wore Pull-Ups to school most of the year last year at a private kindergarten. This year the accidents are fewer but he still cant make it a whole week at school without wetting his pants. Last week I had to come to the school twice to clean him up because he pooped in his pants. It is even worse at home even though I am constantly reminding him and taking him to the potty. It gets worse when he is busy playing or in to an activity. He peed and pooped in his pants this morning while out with my mom and i....right after I had just asked him if he needed to go.

Have any of you dealt with this? I am tempted to just put him in a Pull-Up again so things arent so stressful on both of us.

I hope I can get some good support here!

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you ruled out any other potential factors? Is he an anxious child? My friend's son is in 2nd grade and when his anxiety kicks up he has issues about wetting himself. 

Since the school year is ending soon maybe you should just put him in pull ups or those underjam things to make it through the rest of the year. Let both of you have a break and try to refocus when the summer is over. 

janessa27
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My middle DS had a hard time with peeing in the middle of the night- and it would never wake him up. I started setting alarms to go wake him up and take him to the bathroom. He wouldnt even really wake up then but it helped with night time accidents. 

vicki117
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:29 PM
We did take a break yesterday. We were away from home all day so I put him in a pull up. There was much less stress and worry

Quoting LuLuRex:

Have you ruled out any other potential factors? Is he an anxious child? My friend's son is in 2nd grade and when his anxiety kicks up he has issues about wetting himself. 

Since the school year is ending soon maybe you should just put him in pull ups or those underjam things to make it through the rest of the year. Let both of you have a break and try to refocus when the summer is over. 

Azure
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Unless there's a medical issue all you can really do is wait it out. I'm sorry it's happening though. Is he getting teased at scool for it?

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:12 PM
Does he have any anxiety Panic issues?
sanj1213
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:15 PM
We tried pull ups once and it made ds feel it was ok to potty in it. He didn't grasp the fact that it's mainly for accidents, like if you can't hold it because we're nowhere near a bathroom accident. So we got rid of them and used underwear. I had to be on it though, watch him closely to see if he needed to go.
othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Maybe set up a reward chart for when he does good. Also have him evaluated by a doctor or maybe a urologist to make sure nothing is going on. Maybe try increasing his fiber, because constipation can cause issues with wetting. Also try having set times for him to use the bathroom at school, right when he gets there, before recess, after lunch, ect. It can be tough when a child wants to go play, but keep reminding him to go.

delanna6two
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Just continue to work with him, one of children did accident up until 1st. grade.  We used pull ups and underwear.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM

All I can think is anxiety or a medical issue.

vicki117
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:04 PM
Thank you. He has been teased before but the teacher does a good job of helping him so the others aren't always aware

Quoting Azure:

Unless there's a medical issue all you can really do is wait it out. I'm sorry it's happening though. Is he getting teased at scool for it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)