Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evaluation for speech therapy

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM
  • 34 Replies

My son has to be evaulated becuase he has a stutter so he can get a speech therapist anyone been through this to tell me what to expect, I know every case is differnet. 

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmeow
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I took one of my foster kids who had just turned three. They just asked him to repeat a bunch of words, showed him pictures and asked him to name what was pointed at, asked him what was happening in the pictures, etc. It was totally no big deal.
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:32 PM

I have no idea. My uncle had a stutter when he was small, and my ds sounded like he was going to have one when he started talking. But he seems to be ok now.

My grandma would have my uncle sing. This was probably before any therapys where around for young children. He grew out of it and the singing helped.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM
When dd was evaluated they played games, showed her pictures to identify, etc. She had a ton of fun once they got her to open up and start talking. They were able to tell me before we left the evaluation that she needed therapy.
yo_ho
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 3:38 AM

My son was in speech from 18-30 mo. For the most part, they played and she would encourage him to use certain words to help his speech.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 10:36 AM

My daughter went to speech for an expressive speech delay. During the evaluation they asked her questions, she played games, played with a Mr. Potato head, and with a doll house. It was fun and natural for her and she's a shy kids. They got her comfortable and playing while they did the evaluation. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM

Have not but hope others can help :)

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:28 PM
Bump. I don't have any experience
sanj1213
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:02 PM
I don't sorry, but I'm sure it will be fine. I have a cousin who stuttered then one day I noticed he didn't anymore. I couldn't tell you if he went to therapy though.
AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:19 PM

My 7 year old is in speech...  he has trouble with "th" sounds.  He plays games that working on those sounds from what he's told me. He really enjoys it. 

mjaxxlove
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Thank you everyone i feel more at ease knowing what the process is!!! I'll be updating once he has his eval. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)