• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miserable coughing 2 year old' :(

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 10:40 PM
  • 25 Replies
Non stop Coughing 2 year old!!! Hello ladies I am wondering if anyone has experience a toddler that coughs for over 2 months!? My son stares coughing at the end of February so I took him in to see the doctor and I was told the cough was allergies and he had strep and an ear I fectio . We did 2 weeks of antibiotic and the step and ear infection cleared up. The cough didn't go away.. I took him back to the doctor at the end of March and I was told it was still allergies. He's been on Allegra which seems to not help at all. I put Vicks vapor run on the bottoms of his feet..he sleeps with a humidifier! His cough went from only being a night time cough to a non stop all day and night cough this past Thursday. I'll be calling the doctor in the morning because it seems like it's more than allergies to me!! He's miserable with this hacking cough!! He's a pretty healthy child he does have eczema and peanut and egg allergy! Overall pretty healthy energetic child! Thanks for reading and Amy advice would help!
by on May. 8, 2016 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get him an appointment with an allergist.

In my experience (2 kids with asthma & allergies), pediatricians often say 'oh, coughs last up to 6 weeks after a cold' and 'oh, green boogies for a month after a cold is normal' while my allergist gets them on asthma medication & it helps them immensely, within a few days. Coughing is a major symptom of uncontrolled breathing and asthma.
Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2016 at 1:04 AM

any chest congestion going on?

LaniBee
by on May. 9, 2016 at 7:37 AM
Maybe he needs a different allergy med. Also, coughs can hang on for a while after sickness.
Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2016 at 7:42 AM
This!

Quoting collinsmommy0: I would get him an appointment with an allergist.

In my experience (2 kids with asthma & allergies), pediatricians often say 'oh, coughs last up to 6 weeks after a cold' and 'oh, green boogies for a month after a cold is normal' while my allergist gets them on asthma medication & it helps them immensely, within a few days. Coughing is a major symptom of uncontrolled breathing and asthma.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2016 at 7:46 AM

could it be croup?

goddess99
by on May. 9, 2016 at 8:13 AM
Coughs can last a long time, but I would see another doctor.
TigerofMu
by on May. 9, 2016 at 8:22 AM

I agree with taking him back to the doctor.

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2016 at 8:24 AM
Take him to a diff pedi
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 9, 2016 at 9:13 AM

I agree with this :)

Quoting LaniBee: Maybe he needs a different allergy med. Also, coughs can hang on for a while after sickness.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2016 at 9:19 AM
I would try a different med and if it doesn't work after a week or two I would go to a different doctor
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)