Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nightly dinner fight

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:31 PM
  • 18 Replies
DD is in a phase where she refuses to try new foods. She will eat things that she ate before she entered the phase, but nothing new since then. I'm giving her things I know she will like -- for example, she will eat a piece of plain bread, and she will eat peanut butter on graham crackers, but if I try to give her a peanut butter sandwich, she won't try it. I would not be upset if she tried a new food and didn't like it, but what's driving me up the wall is that she won't even try it! She used to LOVE spaghetti, but I haven't made it in a while, so she doesn't remember eating it. Tonight I told her she had to stay at the table until she tried a bite of spaghetti or until it was bedtime. I told her that if she tried one bite of spaghetti, we could go to the park after dinner (her favorite thing). Well she sat there and cried and huffed and puffed and repeated "no way." Finally she said "Need to go to bed," so I got her ready for bed. Laid her down and she said, "I need to eat." Took her back to the table and she repeated the crying and pouting fit. She said "Need to sleep" again, so I told her that this time she could not get out of bed again, but if she would just eat one bite now, she could stay up longer AND go to the park. She said no, so we went to bed again. She cried a little when I put her in bed and reminded her of the fun she could have had. I said, "Will you try new foods tomorrow?" She shook her head no. So I kissed her and said goodnight and left the room. This is an hour earlier than her normal bedtime.

I'm at my wit's end. I'm really sick of the chicken nuggets, fruit, and milk diet. That's really not healthy. I give her vitamins (which she thankfully eats since they're gummy bears), but she needs to branch out. I denied her a drink or any side dishes at dinner until she would try a bite of spaghetti, but she wouldn't. She didn't even ask for a cup of water when I put her in bed, which she usually does. How on earth can I get this kid to eat?!

By the way, she's 2, but she's"socially advanced" according to her pediatrician.
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

(((Hugs))) mama.

My youngest went through this at the same age and it was tough on me too. I talked to her doctor and you know what he old me? RELAX!!

He suggested that I include her in meal prep/planning etc.  It does take quite a few times of a new food being on the plate before she will actually try it. (To gove you an example, It took a full month of seeing a quarter of a  sandwich on her plate before she would even try it.

I always made sure that there was a food that I knew she would eat on the plate along with the new food. Eventually she tried it, most of them she didn't like but it was a start. I didn't make meal time a battle and I didn't go the route of going to bed without dinner. Not that anyone is wrong, it is not for me personally. However, I also have a special needs child so that does make a difference.

The stage will pass. I felt like it took forever, but it really didn't. Good luck mama!

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 11:51 AM

That is always so tough.  I take my kids to the store and they help me shop for the ingredients and my husband who does the cooking lets the girls wash the veggies or stir. 

Apr1l
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM
I suppose just stay consistent w only having those foods rarely
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by on Aug. 7, 2016 at 10:38 PM

I promise that she will eventually eat.  I wisgh you luck!!!  No toddler will starve themselves to death.  She may miss a few meals, but she will learn to start eating what is in front of her.  We started this at 15 mos with my DD.  She is a great eater and will even willingly try new foods.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 7, 2016 at 11:30 PM

I agree with this,
Hugs to you & best of luck :)

Quoting coala:

I promise that she will eventually eat.  I wisgh you luck!!!  No toddler will starve themselves to death.  She may miss a few meals, but she will learn to start eating what is in front of her.  We started this at 15 mos with my DD.  She is a great eater and will even willingly try new foods.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2016 at 8:05 AM
I wouldn't cater to her. I would have her eat whatever you eat. Put it on her plate and don't give her anything else until she eats it. Let her get up from the table, but when she says she is hungry, direct her back to her dinner plate at the table.
.Angelica.
by on Aug. 8, 2016 at 11:27 AM
My oldest has been this way since birth. Lol he's almost 9 and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. But it sounds like its just a phase for your little one.
Azure
by Member on Aug. 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM

Make whatever dinners you would usually make and include at least one things she would like. We have a picky eater too. With this method she is slowly trying new foods.

othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM

I would not make her stay at the table. I went through this battle with all three of my kids, I offered very small servings of food for them and usually tried to get them to eat 1 bite of each. I limited it to maybe 30 minutes, if they don't eat they wait till the next snack or meal. At times a meal would be 1/4 of a sandwich and a few bites of fruit. I try to make sure they have something on the plate that they do like as well as something new.

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Aug. 8, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Stop fighting with her on it. Don't make her sit there and eat it or force her to go to bed if she doesn't. Just offer her food. If she eats it, great. If she doesn't, oh well. She will eat when she gets hungry enough. But you need to back off and her decide that she wants to eat it instead of being forced to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)