Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Please.

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:51 AM
  • 24 Replies

I have a 4 yr old that is with us every other week. Very sweet child, always wanting to help especially when I'm cooking. A little social butterfly.

On the other hand he can be negative, which I know he doesn't get from his dad. He likes to watch and play games on the computer that I feel is too old for him. Game / videos that have guns, you die if you step in a water hole. Games that are more for a teenager than preschooler. 

Today I try to introduce him to Dora the explorer, that didnt go over very well. That was too baby for him. What computer games / learning gaming do you suggest for advance 4 yr old?

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshsgirl12
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Try abcmouse
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't assume he's "getting" it from someone. A life event can cause that naturally no matter how positive you try to be. My 7yo has apps like that. He's really into Star Wars and minecraft. Started around 5 so not too far off. Dora is kind of girly. How about some monster trucks. Blaze and the monster machines, transformers rescue bots, Jake and the neverland pirates, Lego city, big hero 6, fruit ninja, Mario brothers any movie or show he likes they probably have something for it. Or the educational route. My son loved abcmouse but it is a little pricey. Look for some preschool apps depending on what he knows so far you could type in colors ans shapes or letters and numbers. You're in charge when he's there so just tell him those games aren't allowed when he's there and he'll either not play or come around to something else. I think if you go on together and try some of these more boyish less babyish but still age appropriate games he will come around.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:22 AM

No help here sorry but hopefully others can suggest ;)

othermom
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I would find other games besides dora for him to play, there are some fun games with out killing that would be more exciting than dora.  I like abcya.com and pbskids.com

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Try pbskids.org or download the pbs kids app. Lots of games there!
What are his interests? Try a few new shows or games or toys to see what he is into. Something will click.

As far as negativity goes, all kids go through that. Mine are SO freaking negative sometimes. I send them outside or to their rooms when it gets too thick. Just like any unwanted behavior, it needs to be redirected.
levinn111
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Power rangers, my kids loved them too. Super hero's. batman, super man, transformers, etc. Dinosaurs, remote control cars, nerf guns, which was taken away from him yesterday when he shot his older brother in the leg with it..lol

Quoting iamcafemom83: Try pbskids.org or download the pbs kids app. Lots of games there! What are his interests? Try a few new shows or games or toys to see what he is into. Something will click. As far as negativity goes, all kids go through that. Mine are SO freaking negative sometimes. I send them outside or to their rooms when it gets too thick. Just like any unwanted behavior, it needs to be redirected.

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2016 at 2:46 PM
PBS kids has a ton of shows - wild kratts, dinosaur train, & superwhy my kids like. If you have Amazon prime, they have tumbleleaf, creative galaxy, and bookaboo. I would make it a rule that there's no video games at your house & give it an end date - 'we are starting a new rule next week, with no video games allowed'. We don't do any video games at our house because it causes negative behavior. My kids are 3 & 5
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2016 at 9:43 PM

There's abcmouse, pbs kids, dinosaurs, legos

Kjsmommy0710
by on Dec. 16, 2016 at 6:40 PM
Abcmouse and your house your rules if you don't want that game stuff he's doing at your house don't allow it

Quoting levinn111:

I have a 4 yr old that is with us every other week. Very sweet child, always wanting to help especially when I'm cooking. A little social butterfly.

On the other hand he can be negative, which I know he doesn't get from his dad. He likes to watch and play games on the computer that I feel is too old for him. Game / videos that have guns, you die if you step in a water hole. Games that are more for a teenager than preschooler. 

Today I try to introduce him to Dora the explorer, that didnt go over very well. That was too baby for him. What computer games / learning gaming do you suggest for advance 4 yr old?

Kjsmommy0710
by on Dec. 16, 2016 at 6:41 PM
Pbskids nickjr

Quoting hugss:

No help here sorry but hopefully others can suggest ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)