Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you NOT kill them?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:17 PM
  • 36 Replies

I have a 4 year old boy and a 6 week old boy. Sent DS4 to his room for a nap and we fought for 2 hours about it before he started to settle down. The baby was sleeping through all of it and I needed to feed him or pump. I opted to pump.
While pumping, DS4 snuck out of his room and to the closet in the hall where we keep the crafting supplies. He grabbed the elmer's glue and the bag of googly eyes unbeknownst to me. After I finished pumping, I go to check on him thinking he's asleep and lo and behold, he dumped the entire bottle of glue onto the floor and was standing in a puddle of glue. I looked at the entire mess and noticed he was gluing the googly eyes to his bedroom wall. I was so angry. I grabbed him, stripped him and threw him in the shower. Glue was all over him. I left him in the shower and went back to his room to clean up the mess. Where do I even begin?!?

How do you multi-parent?!? Every time I'm feeding or pumping, DS4 goes crazy because he knows I cannot get to him fast enough to stop him. I'm losing my sanity.

HELP!

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aj_mom
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Sounds like he is doing it for attention.

Khooks
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:35 PM
Sounds like he is doing it for attention. Probably jealous of the new sibling. Give him more attention when possible and praise him for being good while you are busy. If it was my son and he couldn't behave while I was busy I'd make him sit next to me whoever I went and told him until he can act like a big boy when I'm not in the room he has to be next to me.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Yes he may be doing this for attention,
Are you able to spend some one on on time w/ your 4 year old?
Lots of patience & hugs to you :)

faire_jour
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Put him in a child-proofed room.

AmaliaD
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:09 PM
Tell him you know he is acting out when you have to do baby stuff. And you want to help him do better because he's better than that and it makes you sad. Say every time you do baby stuff and he behaves well he gets a sticker on a chart. When he fills the chart he gets a toy or special treat like going out for ice cream. Start with a short one. Like five stickers. Then increase the amount you expect. Really praise him for being good. Ignore him when he is bad. Completely. Don't respond when he talks to you. For a short period.
Dardenella
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You left a four year old in the shower?

OK well to answer your question you keep him with you when you are feeding.  Pumping can be done when DH is home or you are sure that everyone is askeep.

Mine did not have the freedom of the house. They only had certain places they could go without me being right there.  Then again I do not have a problem punishing my children either.  If the craft supplies are low enough for him to get into them that is your fault.  I would start by baby proofing your home.  Chemicals and cleaning solutions go up high .  Craft supplies also go up high or behind a lock door or drawer.

By 4 mine were no longer taking naps of any kind if they were not sick.  Yours may be the same and you may have to change to quiet time.  "I do not care if you sleep but you do need to lay down for XYZ amount of time and read or play quietly"

I never had an urge to kill mine.  I am sure I am odd but I worked too hard to get mine.

fullxbusymom
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM

LOL, honestly I would have laughed.  He sounds like he is starting to wean from naps and was bored especially after 2 hrs of trying to force one. 

fullxbusymom
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Mine has been bathing for about a year by himself and he is 4 also. 

Wow, you are kind of jerky not sure if you mean to come off that way or not.  Mine have full reign of my house at 4yrs old also she thought he was sleeping. 

Quoting Dardenella:

You left a four year old in the shower?

OK well to answer your question you keep him with you when you are feeding.  Pumping can be done when DH is home or you are sure that everyone is askeep.

Mine did not have the freedom of the house. They only had certain places they could go without me being right there.  Then again I do not have a problem punishing my children either.  If the craft supplies are low enough for him to get into them that is your fault.  I would start by baby proofing your home.  Chemicals and cleaning solutions go up high .  Craft supplies also go up high or behind a lock door or drawer.

By 4 mine were no longer taking naps of any kind if they were not sick.  Yours may be the same and you may have to change to quiet time.  "I do not care if you sleep but you do need to lay down for XYZ amount of time and read or play quietly"

I never had an urge to kill mine.  I am sure I am odd but I worked too hard to get mine.

Tay06
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:37 PM
My kid is annoying but he doesn't do that. I have a six year old and an eight month old.
Dardenella
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:56 PM

I can be jerky sometimes.  I have an issue with parents even hinting at the idea of killing their kids.  I am quite sure she was using the phrase in jest (sort of)  It just touches a nerve.

The truth is that more children die because the parents didn't put something up or lock it away or otherwise secure it.

I had a child that climbed a bookshelf at 11 months of age.  I had one of those dining areas that has a step up into the kitche but totally open.  I was right there and had ony turned and step a couple of steps and instinct told me to turn around.  There he was at the top of the bookcase.  The brat had just been cruising around shortly before that  He never crawled.  He got up and walked and then climbed.  You do not expect those things to happen.  It nearly killed me knowing that whatever I did would possibly be the thing to cause him to fall.  (He didn't)  I know very well that I am not even close to a perfect mother.  But I also know that you do not blame the child for what you did not think to safeguard.

Sorry but yes that make me a jerk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)