Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky eater

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:25 AM
  • 3 Replies

Please no judgment here. :) 

We are having the hardest time getting my 16 month old to eat anything healthy. My 3 y.o. will at least try everything, most of the time, but he'll just push his plate away. I do know he's not even a year and a half, but he's anemic...so it has me worried. Not to mention, we have sleep problems at night. 

He wasn't doing that badly with food until we had a stomach bug, but ever since (two weeks ago), it's been pitiful. 

This is what he'll eat: hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and potatoes. That's it. 

Everything else he pushes away. He won't eat veggies or fruit. He won't even try pasta or meat that's not processed. I don't even know what to do to get him to eat. Especially since he's anemic. I am still nursing a ton. But I'd really like him to eat healthier, but I have no idea how to get him to do it. 

I don't know if this is  a battle I need to start fighting now or if I should just relax and let it get better on its own. 

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 1:51 PM

My son went through a phase like that. I would mix healthy foods in with his food. Like spaghetti: I would mix in veggies in the sauce. Applesauce I would mash with squash or carrots. Eventually he grew out of it and started trying new foods.

AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Is he on supplements for his anemia?

My kids were both sporadic eaters at that age too... what I found worked best was to find similar foods to the things they liked. 

If your little ones likes hot dogs... try veggiedogs and different kinds of sausages

For chicken nuggets - try fish, vege or beef nuggets

What kinds of potatoes does he like? Any type? Mix in cauliflower or parsnips or try sweet potatoes.  Mix in other veggie puree's too.  You could try a mashed potato pancake (mashed potatoes, egg, cheese, seasonings... made into pancake shape and browned)... if he likes those you can sneak in shredded veggies like carrots or zucchini (you could probably mash them into potatoes too).  If he likes fries... try other veggie fries like carrots, zucchini, sweet potatoes.  They even make some that are processed and look like regular fries (other than color)... we had cauliflower and broccoli ones that my kids liked. They also make tots. 

I wonder if he just likes the softer textures... again, the veggie "meat" might be the way to go... my son loved the black bean burgers at that age and also the "chicken" patties. 

Keep trying... I wouldn't offer his favorites too often... serve his meal and let him explore.  Try not to nurse him right before meal time. If he is given something he prefers, I make it a small portion and hopefully he'll be interested in other foods on his plate. Sometimes a "gift" from your plate is more exciting than the meal he has on his... 

Sassym0m24
by Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 7:22 PM
Supplements are needed for little kids with anemia also cook the food he does eat with a cast iron skillet. That gets iron into the food that way too.

I'd make the things he does eat from as close to scratch as possible with whole wheat flour, healthier brand meat(organic if possible) and such.

If all he's going to eat is that stuff it may as well be the healthiest version of that as possible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)