Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:53 PM
  • 10 Replies

Bedtime has become a nightmare for us. My 3 y.o. goes down without a problem and always has. 

My 16 month old not so much. Here's a quick review of his schedule. 

9:00 a.m. Wake-up

2:00-4:00 p.m. Nap

9:00-12:00 a.m. Bedtime routine and trying to get him to sleep. 

12:00 He's finally out. We're exhausted. No time to rest or spend time with my husband. 

I am at my wit's end. He has going to bed right around 9:30 a month ago. I don't know what set off this sleep cycle, but it's crazy. We currently bedshare, but we want to get him in his own bed. We also want him asleep by 9:30. 

Please tell me someone has been able to get their older baby/young toddler out of their bed and going to sleep easier? Suggestions. Ideas. Basically, help! 

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM
Shorten his nap and wake him up earlier. A lot of kids can't do 14 hours of sleep anymore at that age.
PaisleyBirds
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:22 PM

Sounds like it's time to start adjusting nap and sleep times again.  Shorten them and make the wake times a little earlier.

newmelly2009
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:04 AM
Don't let him nap or nap that long. My ds sleeps and goes to bed great when he doesn't nap...he's 22 months. Also I couldn't get him to sleep through the night until right after 18 months. It's rough I know, I'm currently sleeping next to his crib i recently started putting him in and he reaches for my hand at night, I have to hold his hand for him to go back to sleep. We co slept as well and it took baby steps to get him to go on the crib and out of our bed 🙁
shiarhars
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 6:43 AM
Like the other ladies suggested get him up earlier and shorten or cut his naps. When we first transitioned sd to sleep alone it took almost 6 or 7 month to get her to sleep in her own bed. Consistency and a lot of patience. We put a night light in her room and that didn't work so we switched to playing soft music instead and she loves it.

Quoting novella0708:

Bedtime has become a nightmare for us. My 3 y.o. goes down without a problem and always has. 

My 16 month old not so much. Here's a quick review of his schedule. 

9:00 a.m. Wake-up

2:00-4:00 p.m. Nap

9:00-12:00 a.m. Bedtime routine and trying to get him to sleep. 

12:00 He's finally out. We're exhausted. No time to rest or spend time with my husband. 

I am at my wit's end. He has going to bed right around 9:30 a month ago. I don't know what set off this sleep cycle, but it's crazy. We currently bedshare, but we want to get him in his own bed. We also want him asleep by 9:30. 

Please tell me someone has been able to get their older baby/young toddler out of their bed and going to sleep easier? Suggestions. Ideas. Basically, help! 

novella0708
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM

I get what ya'll are saying about shortening his nap, but I can tell he needs a two-hour nap. If it's any shorter, he is unbearable. I woke him up earlier and I'm hoping that'll help reset it. 

delanna6two
by on Jan. 30, 2017 at 11:51 AM

Sometimes you have to work with them a while...but there are those nights when no one will go to bed some days...

conweis
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM
This

Quoting lenashark: Shorten his nap and wake him up earlier. A lot of kids can't do 14 hours of sleep anymore at that age.
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2017 at 8:40 PM
I think this would be a good time to transition him to his own sleep space.
Since you're already out of whack with sleeping.
We have gone through some phases like this and they suck! But they do stop after awhile.

I would start backing his nap time up, also. Even if it is just an hour. That way you have more time between him waking up and bedtime.

My 2 year old naps for 2-3 hour stretches sometimes (starting around noon , and then up by 3 to pick up his sister and brother from school) and is still in bed at 8 pm 😉 long naps and the bedtime you want could happen.
MomInANutHouse
by Member on Jan. 30, 2017 at 10:51 PM
I would take out the nap....though sometimes that makes it worse. I feel like when my kids are over tired it's harder to get them to bed. Maybe start by shortening it.
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2017 at 3:35 PM

I agree. Maybe try a wake up time of 8am, nap between 1-2:30/3, down at 9pm. I had a few daycare kids on this schedule and they did pretty well (granted they were up earlier as they were dropped off around 7/8). 

Quoting lenashark: Shorten his nap and wake him up earlier. A lot of kids can't do 14 hours of sleep anymore at that age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)