Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training and the working parent

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM
  • 36 Replies
How do working parents potty train their kids? Everything I read says to have 3-4 days dedicated to potty training. I only have 2 days and that's it. I only have the weekends off. I want to start potty training asap and I'm not how or where to begin for starters and how to keep it going when I go back to work. Advice please?

Since everyone assumes my child is in daycare I want to clarify that she's not in daycare, my mil keeps her during the day. No she does not just vanish when I go to work or stay by herself
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shiarhars
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 7:02 AM
3 to 4 days? tell me that's a joke. It took us month to potty train sd but she eventually got it. We both work so it was hard. During the day we changed her to underwear and had her make a lot of trips to the bathroom until she learned to tell us that she had to go on her own. We only put pull ups at night. We made sure daycare knew that she was getting potty train so the allowed her to use the restroom as often as possible. We would have her use the restroom before we left the house and shortly after we arrived at our destination. We had a few accidents on the way but she finally got it. It took longer than 4 days to get her there, a few month if I remember correctly. Now getting her to go to bed without pull ups was another mission in itself lol.

Quoting Chelsco20: How do working parents potty train their kids? Everything I read says to have 3-4 days dedicated to potty training. I only have 2 days and that's it. I only have the weekends off. I want to start potty training asap and I'm not how or where to begin for starters and how to keep it going when I go back to work. Advice please?
Chelsco20
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM
How old was sd when you started?

Quoting shiarhars: 3 to 4 days? tell me that's a joke. It took us month to potty train sd but she eventually got it. We both work so it was hard. During the day we changed her to underwear and had her make a lot of trips to the bathroom until she learned to tell us that she had to go on her own. We only put pull ups at night. We made sure daycare knew that she was getting potty train so the allowed her to use the restroom as often as possible. We would have her use the restroom before we left the house and shortly after we arrived at our destination. We had a few accidents on the way but she finally got it. It took longer than 4 days to get her there, a few month if I remember correctly. Now getting her to go to bed without pull ups was another mission in itself lol.

Quoting Chelsco20: How do working parents potty train their kids? Everything I read says to have 3-4 days dedicated to potty training. I only have 2 days and that's it. I only have the weekends off. I want to start potty training asap and I'm not how or where to begin for starters and how to keep it going when I go back to work. Advice please?
shiarhars
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 11:52 AM
She was 2 when we started. We had her in daycare from 6am to 3pm some days until 5pm.

Quoting Chelsco20: How old was sd when you started?

Quoting shiarhars: 3 to 4 days? tell me that's a joke. It took us month to potty train sd but she eventually got it. We both work so it was hard. During the day we changed her to underwear and had her make a lot of trips to the bathroom until she learned to tell us that she had to go on her own. We only put pull ups at night. We made sure daycare knew that she was getting potty train so the allowed her to use the restroom as often as possible. We would have her use the restroom before we left the house and shortly after we arrived at our destination. We had a few accidents on the way but she finally got it. It took longer than 4 days to get her there, a few month if I remember correctly. Now getting her to go to bed without pull ups was another mission in itself lol.

Chelsco20
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 3:14 PM
My dd is almost 2 and I wanted to start trying. I usually work 6:45-4

Quoting shiarhars: She was 2 when we started. We had her in daycare from 6am to 3pm some days until 5pm.

Kjsmomma32
by on Jan. 27, 2017 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Do what you can don't force it and take your time .

Chelsco20
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 4:13 PM
Well I'm having a hard time getting it started when 2 people say I need to leave pull ups on her 24/7 until she's potty trained and I want to go to underwear so she's use to that

Quoting Kjsmomma32: Do what you can don't force it and take your time .

AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2017 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither of my kids were potty trained in a few days... it was a gradual process.  And what I'd found... if it takes a lot of effort on your part... they aren't ready. 

We kept it casual... starting with a daily routine of sitting on the potty... like when the wake up, before nap and before bed. When they started to get the hang of it we added more times. We didn't stress about it... one day it just clicks and they are potty trained. 

shiarhars
by Member on Jan. 29, 2017 at 8:37 AM
I say give it a try and slowly transition her to sleeping in pull ups. Put undies during the day. Have her sit on toilet often, when she wakes up, before naps, before you leave house, before bed. They have the kiddy one that have liners if that makes her more comfortable. Be patient and consistent. When she didn't want the pull ups at night anymore, I would have her use the bathroom in middle of night too. I would just pick her up and put her on toilet and she would pee. Then pur her back to bed and off she'll go back to sleep. Patience and consistency.

Quoting Chelsco20: My dd is almost 2 and I wanted to start trying. I usually work 6:45-4
Quoting shiarhars: She was 2 when we started. We had her in daycare from 6am to 3pm some days until 5pm.

hip2it
by Member on Jan. 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Two months or so ago I read Three Day Potty Training and went that route. Ds was 3. He will tell me he has to potty but I still ask a lot because he does have accidents. Sometimes he will go a week with no accidents then he will have one.

I just started putting him in a pull up at night. The book is very against this but I'm tired of washing bedding every morning.

I wouldn't say he's potty trained even now, but he's out of diapers. Still having accidents and I'm still rewarding him everytime he goes. Maybe I'm more trained than he is.
MomInANutHouse
by Member on Jan. 29, 2017 at 9:59 PM
I always did it on vacation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)