Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Ways to Totally Avoid Toddler Tantrums

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

As every parent knows, toddlers are tempestuous little creatures -- and if you've got one, then temper tantrums are definitely a part of your life. But do they have to be?

"The truth is, you can't prevent tantrums all the time," Seattle-based pediatrician Wendy Sue Swanson, MD, a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, tells CafeMom. "There's a lack of communication skills, and toddlers can't always get out what they have in their minds." The resulting frustration, as you're no doubt aware, tends to manifest in everything from screaming to kicking to lots and lots of tears. But there are definitely ways you can stop some of your child's temper tantrums before they even start.

Here are some ways to manage your toddler's ever-changing moods (and maintain your own sanity in the process!).

by on Feb. 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
firstimemommy23
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Thank you for sharing! Will deffo be trying!

lovinmomma32
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM

These are all very good tips. :) Unfortunately for me, I already do all of them except one I never tried, and one I do to some extent but probably not quite well enough - but I do almost ALL of this - and my toddler still has a meltdown at least every other day. :( She's sweet, I love her with all my heart; but am also getting worn out from tantrums and can't figure out how to make things better.

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2017 at 1:56 PM
Great tips!
TigerofMu
by on Mar. 16, 2017 at 7:45 PM

Those are good tips.  It's definitely better to preload the positive and preteach the behaviors you want whenever possible.

janessa27
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Great info!! 

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM

these are good tips

bbigurl28
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 7:16 PM
Very great tips
MRamos18
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2017 at 11:50 PM
Thank you I been dealing with this for years. I have a 9 year old that still kinda does it but more whining and crying at times. But I do understand she haves ADHD. Well my other daughter which is 5 just likes to do it because she doesn't want to tell me how she feels.I have been through it before so some of the things you talked about I been doing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)