Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Youngest Child.

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

So my youngest definitely shows all the classic signs of being the youngest. He cries (or let me clarify, fake cries) over EVERYTHING. He don't get his way with his older brother, he bawls. He doesn't get help with something in his time, he cries. His older brother looks at him "wrong", he cries. And so on and so forth. My oldest was never like this. I know in part my youngest behaves this way because he is the youngest....my little sister was the same way when we were kids (I'm the oldest). I forget when she outgrew it, so thought I'd ask all of you. When does the youngest in the house outgrow the crying over everything phase? How do I help him out of it? He is 4 by the way.

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM

My 4 year old (youngest) is the same way... it's so annoying! 

Now we tell her to "shut it off" (the fake crying and carrying on).  If she doesn't she gets 3 checks (sometimes they are visual, sometimes just verbal) and if she gets to 3 then she gets a punishment - usually a time out, but sometimes other things.  She's very good at shutting it off by the second check.   And then we go over the proper way to do whatever.... like ask for help nicely and with manners, of if she's told "no" about something, how to accept that answer and move on.  

I wouldn't say it's lessened the amount she does it... she still is over dramatic about EVERYTHING... but at least now she doesn't carry on for ages.  In the past, she'd sit in time out screaming and carrying on for up to an hour (our rule is that time out isn't done until you're quite and ready to talk)

kevinjrmomma
by on Feb. 22, 2017 at 10:49 PM

when you start ignoring the fakeness...honestly. like if he's just being a cry baby just ignore it cause he's doing it for attention. have them play more often and do things with him one on one more often,

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 5:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk...my middle child is/was my whiner and he still whines. He's 7.😮

Whining gets ignored, of course. But the frequency which he does it is still too often!
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 7:30 AM
My oldest is the drama llama lol he's always been that way. He's 7 now and he's not like a toddler and has consequences for his actions but he's still high maintenance. My youngest is the chill baby she almost never cries and food cures everything lol.
othermom
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM

My youngest can be that way sometimes, she is 7. It is not as bad as she used to be, we ignore it or send her to her room if she gets whiney or starts blaming them for things they didn't do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)