Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reuniting marriage, effects on kids?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

My exhusband and me are getting back together after 2 years of being divorced and living separate. We are looking for an apartment to share, that we will be moving to soon. How do I make this a smooth transition for the children? (they are 4 and 7) Honestly they will be stoked to have mommy and daddy under one roof again. We never told them we are dating, but I'm sure they kinda know because we are doing a lot as a family again (which they love). I know our divorce was a big transition for them, and they adapted, but I want to make sure reuniting our family goes smoothly.

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CMart305
by Member on Mar. 8, 2017 at 11:14 PM

Be honest about expectations and changes.  And be really sure about what you are doing.  My parents separated and got back together for almost 10 years.  When they finally divorced, it was almost a relief compared to the back and forth.  It's great you guys were able to work things out, but for their sakes, I would want to make sure whatever problems you had prior are completely worked out.  Best of luck.

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2017 at 9:40 AM

I think that this transition will be more smoother than breaking up.  However, its important to make sure that you and your partner worked out the difficulties that caused you to separate and have a plan to continue to grow your relationship.  

mnmo3bb
by on Mar. 17, 2017 at 2:27 AM

I'm not sure about the children but when my dad was sick and dying I stayed with my mom during that time. So my husband and I lived apart for 4 months. We did see him every other weekend and he was there more during the funeral and took the children for a week at one (or two?) times... anyway, what my advice is ... when I moved back home we had to adjust to living together all over again and that was weird! Prepare them that you will have disagreements but that you love each other and are commited. 

momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 9:18 PM
Agree ,100%

Quoting CMart305:

Be honest about expectations and changes.  And be really sure about what you are doing.  My parents separated and got back together for almost 10 years.  When they finally divorced, it was almost a relief compared to the back and forth.  It's great you guys were able to work things out, but for their sakes, I would want to make sure whatever problems you had prior are completely worked out.  Best of luck.

celestegood
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 4:15 PM

Honestly, just make sure to be honest with them as to what you expect.  They are little, so of course, it won't be much expected of them.  At any rate, good luck.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Mar. 19, 2017 at 8:24 PM
Be sure before you commit. I imagine the transition will be smoother than you'd think but don't make them go through it just to divorce again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)