Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning up after themselves

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM
  • 29 Replies
When our kids were young, my husband and I started them cleaning up after themselves from a very young age. We never allowed close to be thrown on the floor comma instead opting to put them where they go as soon as you take them off, in the dirty clothes basket. It was simple things like that, that made our house run smoother. Do you teach your kids to pick up after themselves? Do you teach them to clean as they go?
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd is 3 and picks up after herself. It's easier to teach them right instead of trying to correct bad habits.
othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Yes I do teach them too, it doesn't always work. Still working on my husband about it too, lol. He takes off his socks and tosses them on the floor in the living room often and the kids do too now.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM
That is exactly how I feel.

Quoting AbbeysMom2013: Dd is 3 and picks up after herself. It's easier to teach them right instead of trying to correct bad habits.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:52 PM
That would drive me crazy.

Quoting othermom:

Yes I do teach them too, it doesn't always work. Still working on my husband about it too, lol. He takes off his socks and tosses them on the floor in the living room often and the kids do too now.

Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 12:53 PM

My kids are great for the most part, but at 5 and 15 months, we have to remind them. The LO is much better about it at the moment then the older one. lol

sunshinepraying
by Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 1:09 PM

Sounds like my house

Quoting othermom:

Swiftintent
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:11 PM

We do the same with our kids. I have given them all chores even my 3 year old. The older they get, they move on to bigger chores and then the next in line takes over their siblings chores, if that makes sense lol. I think it's very important and teaches them responsibility as well as respect and I feel the appriciate things because they have to work for it. When mom cleans the house they just don't reck it because they know the work that goes into cleaning and stuff.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:39 PM
We did the same. We also say, a family that works together, plays together.

Quoting Swiftintent:

We do the same with our kids. I have given them all chores even my 3 year old. The older they get, they move on to bigger chores and then the next in line takes over their siblings chores, if that makes sense lol. I think it's very important and teaches them responsibility as well as respect and I feel the appriciate things because they have to work for it. When mom cleans the house they just don't reck it because they know the work that goes into cleaning and stuff.

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:44 PM

My 4 yr old knows where the dirty clothes go and is good about putting them in there, my oldest who is 7, is like a hurricane and we have to constantly remind her.

mamamedic69
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:43 PM

My kids were taught to clean up after themselves. My older 2 still do (they are aduts now), my youngest DS (an adult)has "forgotten" how, and my youngest is OCD so having things in the proper place is a must.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)