Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help 4 year old dreams about death

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM
  • 17 Replies
Hi my 4 year old daughter has been talking about death and dying a lot for about 6 months now. At first it started out just questions,about heaven and hell dying and seeing Jesuse. We got back in to going to church so I thought she just wanted to learn.Now it's getting to the point of talking about all day long and every day. Remind you no one what she knows of have passed away. She is asking questions about what will happen to her if mommy and daddy die. And she is also having dreams about death, that her dad got shot and bleeding and that the bad guy was coming to shoot her. Also she keeps saying that she was 2 sisters and one brother but they live with their parents and that there mamaw and papaw are dead. The only thing is that she is a only child. I really could use the advice on this because its kinda scaring me. Thanks
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Azure
by Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:23 AM

Did it start before or after you started going back to church?

othermom
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 1:42 PM

That is very hard to discuss with a young child. My youngest asks a lot of questions like that and has bad dreams sometimes. Do you watch the news or violent shows around her?

jodi1589
by Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM
It mostly started after we went back to church.And we try our best to limit what we watch when she is around us. Right now we don't have any cable so were limited to what we watch anyway.
egyptian_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM
Is your church one that talks a lot about death, afterlife etc? If not, could she be hearing about these things from someone?
la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Does your church focus on death/afterlife?

AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:53 PM
That is a tough one. Figuring out where it initially came from would probably help solve it. My dh and I watch the walking dead and we watch it after the kids are asleep. One day months ago dd3 woke up and saw a very small portion. A few weeks ago she told me to hide some candy so the zombies couldnt get it. She doesnt seem scared and i didnt think she saw enough to take in any of it and especially not months later. I know it's probably really hard to determine exactly what made her start thinking about it.

Do the dreams scare her? Death in dreams usually means the end of something, but not literally death. However, from what you've said it sounds like it's her brain trying to work out the fear of losing one of you. Have you guys moved or stopped talking to anyone recently?

Also sometimes it's not super clear. When my nephew was little he suddenly refused to eat cereal and wouldntvsay why. We eventually found out that he had heard the term serial killer and in his mind that meant eating cereal would kill you.

I wish I had some better advice for you.
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 4:23 AM
Does she hear about it on the radio?
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 8:59 AM
Has she seen any movies or such on TV that included death?
virginiamama71
by on Jun. 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM
Maybe she is hearing about shootings and death on tv?
janessa27
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 11:55 AM

She could have seen something on tv or even heard something on the radio that may have stuck with her? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)