• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low Muscle Tone in 18 Month Old

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi all,

I had a question and what better place to ask than on here? This site truly got me through my two pregnancies and I couldn't be more thankful.

I have a daughter who is 2.5 years old and she hit all her milestones at an early age. My son is 18 months and he is a slow poke (lol)...He didn't crawl until he was 15 months - he is crawling all over the place...but I contacted Early Intervention in March right after his 15 Mon appt...per my pediatrician's suggestion. They did an eval and (PT) and discovered he has low muscle tone. That explains WHY he hasn't walked yet. We got the eval for PT done in March and they couldn't find a PT until the last week in June! He has worked with a PT 1x a week now for 4 weeks and he is already showing signs of improvement. He needs balance before he can walk. He wants to take steps in the worst way, because when we hold him by his torso aka trunk, his feet start walking. He is up to 6 steps with help. That's huge! We also have an OT starting next week to work with him for fine motor. Just yesterday, he used the spoon on his own! I'm just overwhelmed with emotions. My son doesn't say actually words yet either, but babbles a ton. His PT said this is such a mild case compared to what she sees and works with. She said he will get there and it's all about repetition. She also said weak muscle tone results in many cases of little to no speech at his age as well. The more you do it, the better he will get. I'm a tad upset bc my pediatrician had us go and get a developmental eval at this center and the people there had no bedside manners whatsoever. In 15 minutes you are going to tell me you know my son and what he is capable of? Really? They had a concern that his one eye floats outward slightly, so we are going to get his eyes checked in two weeks. However, they were rude and told me nothing that we didn't already know. The only perk was that they recommended speech services to get him caught up, which as a mom, I would have requested it anyhow. They wanted to do a genetic test on him- which I already had all the genetic testing done when I was pregnant with him. They also "recommended" an MRI to see why the delays...and to put him under? No way! 18 months? We know he has delays and we are fully addressing them. He is such a happy and active 18 month old...and is progressing - NOT REGRESSING! I'm so angry that it took 3 months to get the PT (they are in high demand and there were 5 kids ahead of my son)...because had he had the PT start in March when he had the evaluation done to get approval for one, his 18 month appt would have been more promising and he prob would have been able to say words and walk for the pediatrician. Can anyone cheer me up and tell me I'm not alone? My son is PERFECT in my eyes and so what if he needs some intervention now to get where he needs to be by time school starts?

PS I also found a review on that doctor at the clinic I was sent to and they said the same exact thing I did! He just pushed his credentials in your face, talked about his family, and had no bedside manners at all! I'm never stepping foot there again. My husband was with me and he was disgusted. My family and friends who have kids in Early Invention agree and said my son simply needs the time put in to work with the PT, OT, and ST! I came home and cried at first and now I'm just completely ticked off!
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Has he ever had Ciprodex ear drops?
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Start doing some research on what type of therapy type work you could do at home. They have those little walkers that he could hold onto to help get things moving and I also found that light shoes also helped motivate them.
othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That is great that he is making progress. 

babydust1977
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 7:37 PM
Hi, No...what are they?

Quoting ablackdolphin: Has he ever had Ciprodex ear drops?
babydust1977
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:28 PM
I was just thinking about looking stuff up tonight. Maybe even some therapy toys for his fine motor skills, too! He truly has progressed so much with little things the past week! He will even take the fork and spoon and use it correctly now! Proud mom moment!

Quoting MixedCooke: Start doing some research on what type of therapy type work you could do at home. They have those little walkers that he could hold onto to help get things moving and I also found that light shoes also helped motivate them.
babydust1977
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:30 PM
Thank you so very much!

Quoting othermom:

That is great that he is making progress. 

babydust1977
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:30 PM
I was just thinking about looking stuff up tonight. Maybe even some therapy toys for his fine motor skills, too! He truly has progressed so much with little things the past week! He will even take the fork and spoon and use it correctly now! Proud mom moment!

Quoting MixedCooke: Start doing some research on what type of therapy type work you could do at home. They have those little walkers that he could hold onto to help get things moving and I also found that light shoes also helped motivate them.
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds had low fine and gross motor skills when he was 4. There's a ton of fun ideas on pintrest to help with it. Easy things like playing with play dough and legos (duplos at that age). He also had tracking issues with his eyes.
Greenbird15
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You are doing a great job and you really care about him. You don't let anyone forget that he is YOUR child, it doesn't matter what credentials they have YOU know what is best for him! Its hard/overwhelming when you feel that your child hasn't had the best/fastest care. Its not a perfect world though so take a breath and you can relax knowing that you are the best mom for your son, you are doing your best and your best is good enough! Everything will work out nowadays there are so many things that can be done to help our kids-at least we live in this day and age! He knows you love him and all we can do as moms is try to give our kids a good life- you are doing it! 

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Look into sensory play stuff too like clay, blocks, mega blocks (Like large Leggos), kinetic sand, you can make finger paint but using vanilla pudding and a bit of food coloring, you can also make edible clay.

Quoting babydust1977: I was just thinking about looking stuff up tonight. Maybe even some therapy toys for his fine motor skills, too! He truly has progressed so much with little things the past week! He will even take the fork and spoon and use it correctly now! Proud mom moment!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)