Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fruit from Walmart? Spider......

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM
  • 20 Replies

Has anyone purchased produce from Walmart? I hardly shop there for food but we happen to be there the other day and I bought some strawberries. I grabbed one and I was about to rinse it off and cut it up and give it to my daughter and there was a spider in the container. It didn't occur to me to take a picture. Instinct told me to throw them away. Has anyone else had any issues with produce from there?

"In a world of ketchup, be salsa! It's spicy, delicious, and no two are the same!"

sidesplittinglaughter

by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:46 PM

It happens sometimes. I haven't noticed it at walmart but have occasionally found bugs in fruit

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 4:49 PM
3 moms liked this
I've had plenty of bugs end up in my produce whether it be from Ralph's, Food Lion, Walmart or the commissary. It's just part of life... Bugs live on plants. I wash them off and keep going unless it's maggots. It happens pretty infrequently anyway, but bugs aren't likely to make you any more sick than all the pesticide that's on the produce in the first place.
Khooks
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 9:28 AM
Yeah, plants generally grow in the dirt, outside....in nature. I actually like signs that my produce was grown on a farm. I try to use mostly farmers markets this time of year.
virginiamama71
by on Aug. 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM
It happens even with fruit and vegetables we take from gardens.
ajandconorsmom
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM
It happens. I really wouldnt be overly concerned just check containers att he store if you can. I rinse my fruits and veggies off before earing anyway becauae the pesticides they use are worse for you.
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM
That can happen no matter where you get your fruit
onemoremelissa
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 2:06 PM

I bought some spinach from Wal-Mart and there was a spider in it. I threw it out but I still shop there since there is a chance it can happen anyway.

You can see him in the bottom left corner

BeachyJADA
by Member on Aug. 5, 2017 at 3:39 PM

I know it happens, I've even bought produce that had little farm worms on them. I guess I was just taken back by the spider, lol. Nature does it's thing. I get it. Lol. I told my husband and he was like, "Well, you know it's good if the little spider liked it." laughing

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2017 at 8:01 AM
I figure this too!

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: I've had plenty of bugs end up in my produce whether it be from Ralph's, Food Lion, Walmart or the commissary. It's just part of life... Bugs live on plants. I wash them off and keep going unless it's maggots. It happens pretty infrequently anyway, but bugs aren't likely to make you any more sick than all the pesticide that's on the produce in the first place.
Azure
by Member on Aug. 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM

I would probably rinse them and use them anyway, but I'm not going to lie-it would creep me out.

I found earwigs on some kale I brought in from the garden a few weeks ago. That was creepy. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)