Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best high back booster?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 1:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is currently in a britax marathon. Love that seat!! He is almost to the max shoulder and standing height. We are considering getting him a new seat soon.
Wondering what seats you guys have, what you like about it and don't. And whether I should get a 5pt harness or one with a seat belt, high back or not?
My son is almost 4.5. Thank you!
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 3:19 PM

He's probably old enough and big enough for a booster....

But is he MATURE enough? That the biggest thing at this age... many kids 4-6 aren't mature enough to sit in a booster seat.   If you think he can sit properly 100% of the time, no reaching for things he dropped, no slouching, slumping, falling over if he falls asleep, no messing with his belt, keeping his legs down (not up on his seat).... then he's probably ready.  If not, get another harnessed seat.

You can search "best bet booster" and get a list of the boosters that have been found to find the best fit for most kids.  You'll still need to see how the booster fits your kid in your car... it all depends. 

With my own kids.... my son wasn't ready for a booster until he was 6.  My daughter was ready at 5. She's currently in an Evenflo spectrum... I really like it because it fits her perfectly, it has beefy head wings (most booster are pretty pathetic), and the armrests are made in a way that the child can't buckle incorrectly (a lot of kids buckle over the top of the armrest, which isn't right or safe)

Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM
Thank you, I did do some googling after I posted this. I think he definitely needs a high back and a harness. He does sit well in his seat now but I can imagine him trying to reach for his baby brother or a toy, etc. and since that's all he knows I don't think a transition would be a big deal.
I'll try googling what you suggested and the seat you have for your daughter. It looks like there's a big range in costs too. Which I'm glad I started researching now. We probably won't get one until after the holidays I imagine.
So it'll give me some time to save and get more info.
When you got your seat did they let you try it in your car? I did read that each car/child is individual and may need a different seat for a correct fit.

Quoting AmiJanell:

He's probably old enough and big enough for a booster....

But is he MATURE enough? That the biggest thing at this age... many kids 4-6 aren't mature enough to sit in a booster seat.   If you think he can sit properly 100% of the time, no reaching for things he dropped, no slouching, slumping, falling over if he falls asleep, no messing with his belt, keeping his legs down (not up on his seat).... then he's probably ready.  If not, get another harnessed seat.

You can search "best bet booster" and get a list of the boosters that have been found to find the best fit for most kids.  You'll still need to see how the booster fits your kid in your car... it all depends. 

With my own kids.... my son wasn't ready for a booster until he was 6.  My daughter was ready at 5. She's currently in an Evenflo spectrum... I really like it because it fits her perfectly, it has beefy head wings (most booster are pretty pathetic), and the armrests are made in a way that the child can't buckle incorrectly (a lot of kids buckle over the top of the armrest, which isn't right or safe)

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 18, 2017 at 11:23 PM
What is his height and weight? What vehicle will it be going in to? Any other back seat passengers? The answers to those can help to determine the best seat for him and your situation.
Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Height- 43.5 (that was me measuring and him moving, he has a check up next week so I'll know for sure)
Weight 44pounds
He will be riding in a Kia Sorento and occasionally a Honda Civic.
He shares the back with baby brother who is in a Chico key fit 30. (He is 7 weeks old)

Quoting Junebaby18: What is his height and weight? What vehicle will it be going in to? Any other back seat passengers? The answers to those can help to determine the best seat for him and your situation.
liss05
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:05 PM

We have Recaro  Performance booster seats(also have the Sport) for the 7yo pixie it has fantastic reviews(DD says it's comfy and she will nap if we are on a long car ride) and the company also makes the seats for racecars so I would hope they would go above and beyond in testing their products

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting liss05:

We have Recaro  Performance booster seats(also have the Sport) for the 7yo pixie it has fantastic reviews(DD says it's comfy and she will nap if we are on a long car ride) and the company also makes the seats for racecars so I would hope they would go above and beyond in testing their products

Recaro doesn't make seats in the US anymore, so if there's any left available in stores it will have an older manufacturer date which means it will expire sooner.
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 7:21 AM
At 4 and a half I would keep him harnessed for quite awhile longer.

Try the nautilius (graco). All I had for my kids were britax seats but this is a good one, as well. My 3 year old rides in one and when he is big enough, it will be his booster seat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)