Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bed wetting at this age?!?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hello. My oldest son is about to turn 5. He was fully potty trained until we bought our current home almost a year ago. It was a lot of big changes at once. 

We moved for the first time since he was old enough to remember.

His baby brother was born a week later.

Two months later, he started a new daycare.

Shortly after we moved in, he started wetting the bed at night about once a week. At first, I was angry because it didn't make sense to me. He hadn't wet the bed in over a year prior to our moving. (Fully potty trained with minimal overnight accidents by age 2 1/2) After reading on it, I chilled out because of all the big changes he endured. 

It now has been going on for a year and has increased in frequency to 3-5 nights per week. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

We started with stopping fluid intake about 30-40 minutes before bedtime and making sure he uses the bathroom before bed. No change. 
Bedtime is at 7:30 and we wake him up to go potty when we go to bed at 11pm. When he wakes at 6am, he has wet the bed. 

He shares a room with his almost 1 year old brother. I think this has caused him to sleep harder (since the baby cries and DS1 doesn't wake through it) and therefore isn't aware he is wetting the bed? 

Any thoughts on breaking this habit? I'm tired of the laundry every morning. 

Thanks. 

by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM
If his bed time is at 730pm stop the drinks 2 or 3 hrs before bed. Have him use the potty before he goes. Even though he didn't drink anything since the 2 to 3 hrs ago. If it keeps happening let him now thst you will take his sheets off the bed and he can have it back on when he can get up at night to go. If it keeps going and that doesn't work let him him know that big boys don't pee in bed and they get to go to school and ask him do you want to go to school and be a big boy? If he says yes then tell him that he needs to stop.

If had to do this multiple times with my oldest we make her go pre before bed and stop drinks before 6pm. She doesn't go to bed till 9pm. Its been working awesomely.
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM
It sounds as if the bed wetting is related to the changes. Have you tried talking to him about all these changes? My son used to be an extremely light sleeper but now is a deep sleeper. He always wakes up to go to the bathroom though so I wouldn’t be so quick to write it off.
PeacefulPoet
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:34 AM
We have discussed it. We've also told him that he is about to be 5 and 5 year olds are big boys and big boys dont wet the bed. Ive even told him that as a big brother, he needs to help teach his brother by setting an example of not wetting the bed. He's so proud of himself on the mornings he wakes up dry, but it's never two days in a row.
Im considering a reward system, but not sure its fair if he's just too hard of a sleeper.

Quoting Khooks: It sounds as if the bed wetting is related to the changes. Have you tried talking to him about all these changes? My son used to be an extremely light sleeper but now is a deep sleeper. He always wakes up to go to the bathroom though so I wouldn’t be so quick to write it off.
JkBrauer
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM

This sounds like a security problem. We had a child who regresed around that age too. We had some changes in our life at that time. We went to the doctors, talked to friends and did some research.We found that it was an insecurity, and needed extra attention.Letting her know that she was very important. We had to get her involved in what we do. ( If idid dishes, she could come and help me put them in the dish washer. Help me make dinner, help dad fix things or go with him when he would run an errand. Have a special date time and go to McDonald's and get a icecream cone or go to the park and play.) We learned not to discuss the subject of bed wetting with her, but just focus on making her feel important. Eventually, the bed wetting decreased. 

Just some food for thought: Is it really that important that you make a big deal of having to change his bed every morning? My husband and I did not like doing it either. We learned that was only making things worse about sharing those feelins of disgust with her and each other. Even though we did not like, we had to except the fact, we had to do it and just let it be. It just another responsility of parenting that will eventually be grown out of.

Hang in there, things will get better!

PeacefulPoet
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I do not express my discontent with laundry and bedding changes with my son. I'm trying to stay positive with him about it so as not to cause a self-esteem/worth issue through all this. 

Quoting JkBrauer:

This sounds like a security problem. We had a child who regresed around that age too. We had some changes in our life at that time. We went to the doctors, talked to friends and did some research.We found that it was an insecurity, and needed extra attention.Letting her know that she was very important. We had to get her involved in what we do. ( If idid dishes, she could come and help me put them in the dish washer. Help me make dinner, help dad fix things or go with him when he would run an errand. Have a special date time and go to McDonald's and get a icecream cone or go to the park and play.) We learned not to discuss the subject of bed wetting with her, but just focus on making her feel important. Eventually, the bed wetting decreased. 

Just some food for thought: Is it really that important that you make a big deal of having to change his bed every morning? My husband and I did not like doing it either. We learned that was only making things worse about sharing those feelins of disgust with her and each other. Even though we did not like, we had to except the fact, we had to do it and just let it be. It just another responsility of parenting that will eventually be grown out of.

JkBrauer
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Quoting PeacefulPoet:

I do not express my discontent with laundry and bedding changes with my son. I'm trying to stay positive with him about it so as not to cause a self-esteem/worth issue through all this. 

Quoting JkBrauer:

PeacefulPoet
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:16 AM

?????

Quoting JkBrauer:

Quoting PeacefulPoet:

Quoting JkBrauer:

JkBrauer
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM

Quoting JkBrauer:

Quoting PeacefulPoet:

good  Your a great mom, hang in there!

( I did not mean to offend you, was only meant for food for thought.) It was something I learned the hard way and was intened to help you. I am sorry for offending you!

Have a great day!

Quoting JkBrauer:

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM

I feel thats pretty normal. My son was potty trained at 3 years old, but he still wet the bed several times a week until he was about 6 or 7. He just wore a pull up to bed so we didn't have to worry about changing sheets and that. Same with my daughter. She will be 5 in a few weeks. She was a little bit later on potty training. She just got trained in June. She is fully potty trained during the day. But I have her wear a pull up to bed because she will not get up to go potty. She still wakes up a good 3-4 days a week with a full diaper. Night training always is a bit harder for kids than day. I wouldn't worry about it. Its pretty normal. Just put a pull up on him at night until you notice he is waking up dry on consistent basis. 

PeacefulPoet
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:34 AM

I had bought a pack of the Overnights for him and he got really upset, claiming they were diapers and he didn't wear diapers. :( 

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

I feel thats pretty normal. My son was potty trained at 3 years old, but he still wet the bed several times a week until he was about 6 or 7. He just wore a pull up to bed so we didn't have to worry about changing sheets and that. Same with my daughter. She will be 5 in a few weeks. She was a little bit later on potty training. She just got trained in June. She is fully potty trained during the day. But I have her wear a pull up to bed because she will not get up to go potty. She still wakes up a good 3-4 days a week with a full diaper. Night training always is a bit harder for kids than day. I wouldn't worry about it. Its pretty normal. Just put a pull up on him at night until you notice he is waking up dry on consistent basis. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)