Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM
  • 4 Replies
Hi, guys! I'm new here & in need of advice on where and how to draw the line when it comes to my soon to be 3 year old son. I am a single parent. I think I went wrong allowing him to do so much and always babying him when I had no business doing so to kinda fill in for his dad not being in the picture (I was definitely in my feelings when I told myself that this would be ok). I often find myself getting irritated when I have to repeat everything multiple times, especially because I know that he understands what I'm saying. I've sent him to his room plenty of times (he would cry himself to sleep) I take things from him & If it comes to that point, I will pop him. BUT will turn around and do the exact thing that got him into trouble.... I really need help, crying out of frustration does not help.....
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jlm1980
by New Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 11:46 PM

I totally understand the difficulties of the age.  I have a son who is 4 now.  I am no perfect parent but I have noticed different cues as to if he will be more likely to act up.  Like, is he tired, hungry, or sick?  My son is also very sensitive to sugar.  He also picks up on my moods, so if I am having a bad day, he typically tends to push limits as well.  He is also sensitive to how much undivided attention he gets cuddling and playing with him.  As well as how I speak to him.  He is much more likely to behave if I pour on the love and affirmations.  There is a book titled "Dare to Discipline" by Dr James Dobson that may help you as well.  Blessings to you momma!  If you need time for yourself, take it if you can.  You can only give what you have.

Khooks
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 7:51 AM
I think you are doing all the right things. Because of the babying or lack of discipline before, he is going to be testing the limits to see how much he can get away with and to see if you break. The best thing to do is to stick to exactly what you are doing. He will eventually see you are not going to give in and start to change. If you do change your discipline method, be sure to give it several weeks even months. When people post “I’ve tried everything” it’s usually they’re not sticking with one long enough so the child learns if they keep it up it will eventually fail. Also, give a lot of praise and positive attention when things are going well and possibly a reward chart to help him want to do well and not feed on the negative attention.
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I would just start being very consistent with discipline. Sometimes you may have to repeat yourself several times throughout the day, but I believe consistency is the key.

lovingladyo4
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 7:05 PM

Your child is still in the vulnerable formative years of his life so there is a window of opportunity available to you. Have a game plan and stay consistent with follow-through - every - single - time. No compromise, and no getting negligent. Your son needs firm boundaries around him for security, and structure means security. Decide what you are going to do.

Engage in conversation more often. When you tell him something, stoop down, look at him in the eye and ask him to repeat what you just said. He can't know you are upset, or impatient, or frustrated with him. He will pick that up right away. Instead stay happy and let that set the tone for these verbal methods of communicating. He is learning and you are his best teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)