Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About to tear out my hair...3.5 yr old STILL pooping at night?!

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:40 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hello everyone!

I was wondering...Should I be concerned that my 3.5 year old is still pooping in his sleep in the middle of the night?

He's been daytime potty trained for over a year now, but is still wearing pull ups to bed, because he's not yet dry at night. I'm much less concerned about this, because I realize he's still young for that...but I do worry that he's both peeing AND pooping more or less every night. We habitually have him try and go potty just before bed each night, but this is still something that happens regardless. We've also tried to change his diet, and when we eat in the evening--but for the most part, nothing has changed.

Two different pediatricians have told me that this isn't something to be concerned about at this point. But I'm at a loss. After some horrendous nights this past month, DH and I have been floating the idea of moving DS from a pull-up, back to a regular overnight diaper...because we're having to deal with both the poop issue AND big nighttime pees, but I've been nervous to.

I'm completely at a loss here. 

by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
AmiJanell
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 10:57 PM

My son used to poop at night around the age of potty training because he was constipated (because he didn't want to poop on the potty) so his body would take over when he was sleeping and do it for him. Do you think your little guy might be backed up? One we got the constipation under control and he was pooing during the day, the night time pooping went away. 

With peeing... there isn't much that can be done other than wait.  I have 2 kids... my son is 9 and still wets 100% of the time at night.  My daughter is 5 and she's not wet at night for a couple of years. 

Glade09
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:52 PM

Quoting AmiJanell:

My son used to poop at night around the age of potty training because he was constipated (because he didn't want to poop on the potty) so his body would take over when he was sleeping and do it for him. Do you think your little guy might be backed up? One we got the constipation under control and he was pooing during the day, the night time pooping went away. 

With peeing... there isn't much that can be done other than wait.  I have 2 kids... my son is 9 and still wets 100% of the time at night.  My daughter is 5 and she's not wet at night for a couple of years. 

There was a period where we bought what felt like a metric ton of Miralax for DS, when we were dealing with constipation in the past--but truthfully it hasn't been an issue since after he potty trained. I'll absolutly try and keep an eye out to make sure he's not dealing with constipation though!

He was sort of unlike our oldest, in that he trained 'backwards'...#2 was something he figured out in just a single weekend, but pee we struggled with for a bit longer in the daytime.

Truthfully, I've been pretty un-concerned about him still peeing at night as we've already got experience dealing with that with his brother. I've always just been a worry-wart when it comes to the nightly pooping.

My MIL regularly gets upset with me over this, and is 100% convinced that there's NO way that he's possibly pooping AND peeing while he's still asleep. Despite the fact that DS is a very, very deep sleeper, and I've seen for myself many times when he's gone to the bathroom in his sleep without ever being at all aware of it or (or even waking up afterwords!).

Happy to know we're not alone!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)