Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler bedroom

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:46 AM
  • 10 Replies
Next spring my family will be making a long, 14-16 hour drive to our new house. The trip is 690 miles and typically would take around 10-12 hours driving time with minimal stops. However, we will have our 3 yo son, dog, and 5 cats with us so I added a few hours for bathroom breaks.

Anyhow, our son will be getting his own bedroom for the first time. He has a bed, a nightlight, and dresser of course, but nothing else for his room. We have a toy box/bookshelf combo, but I'm not sure if that will be in his room or in the living room. The floors are hardwood, so I'm thinking of a rug (with double sided tape to stick it to the floor).

Any other suggestions? It's a normal sized room about 10x10 or so.
by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Khooks
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM
Both of my kids have a kids table and chairs in their room to play with small toys and writing or coloring. Iā€™d wait and see what he needs once you get settled. If you think he might be scared to be in a room by himself maybe a special night light or some things for the walls
Stetsons-mommy
by New Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 8:15 AM
My 2 year old just started sleeping in his own room this last week after over 2 years of co sleeping. He actually took to it really well. He has a bed, dresser, toys and decorations on the wall. It will come to you after you get everything set up. Just be sure and make it homey for him :)
kgbm13
by Member on Nov. 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Daughter has her loft bed, shelves under it, books, toys and dresser in her room.  Age 2.5 trying to get most of her things into her room.  As for the trip pack activities that are new, if your ok with it DVD player is amazing for long trips.  And plan finger foods and snacks fun and healthy.  We do 17 hour drives regularly these days. Every few months.

mewebb82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2017 at 1:02 PM
A bookshelf in his room is always a good idea even if you have one in the living room. Books for bedtime stories. Some wall art.....although that can wait until you move in and start setting up.
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Member on Nov. 27, 2017 at 12:51 AM

A play table would be good, maybe some toy cubbies. 

shadowspirit07
by Member on Nov. 27, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Yes, I'm concerned that he will be scared since he'll be by himself. I may be over thinking it too.

Quoting Khooks: Both of my kids have a kids table and chairs in their room to play with small toys and writing or coloring. Iā€™d wait and see what he needs once you get settled. If you think he might be scared to be in a room by himself maybe a special night light or some things for the walls
shadowspirit07
by Member on Nov. 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Thanks for the ideas. He's not really interested in books right now. Unfortunately, we can't afford a DVD player but I'd love to.
HappyMommyToo
by Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 12:08 AM

Some stuffed animals that are his "favorite" character at the time, some bedding he helped pick out might be good. Let him help pick out some sort of night light for his room...

CMart305
by Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM

A little kids table or place to sit (oversized pillow, bean bag) that he can sit and read/draw etc 

shadowspirit07
by Member on Nov. 28, 2017 at 6:58 PM
I did find a really nice wood storage cubby/bench with bulldozers etc on it at Goodwill. He loves things like that. He's not big into stuffed animals but he does have some Tonka style trucks and cars he adores. I'm looking for a desk or table for him and a chair. Yay for thrift stores.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)