Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Little boys and toy guns and swords....

Posted by   + Show Post
Just wondering what you all think about this. I don't buy my 4 year old toy guns or swords. I just don't want him running around pretending to kill people.  He still does sometimes anyways, without the toys!
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 5:22 PM
Replies (41-46):
smadar
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:49 PM
well i guess i have to be the odd ball out of the bunch and tell you all that my son that 11 actually has a bb gun. He is not aloud to even touch it or shoot it without dad outside with him. he couldn't get to it anywyay cause it's locked up in our closet. My son also has quit a few play swords that he plays with alot. i don't think it's a plroblem as long as they know right from wrong. i grew up around hunting guns all of my life but still it took a long time for my husband to convence me to let him have any sort of gun in the house. My husband also has a real gun in the house but everything is properly locked up that was part of the deal of giving into him.
hockeymom75
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:52 PM
I have never been the type to buy any of these kinds of play items...but it amazes me that even with feeling that way...he will find his own way to make them...he will grab anything...and either pretend he is shooting something...or its a sword...grrr....oh well...I just try to kee him informed on the dangers...and the difference between real and play...hopefully that is what will make the difference later down the road ;o)
tatou
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM
I dont buy them and he never ask  ...He likes cars , trains etc....
OtakuMom
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM
My mother was VERY against having guns of any sort in the house.  My dad was a military cop for a time and if he showed up at the house during the day with his gun, my mom made him stand on the doorstep while she went to get what he needed.  Growing up, I wasn't even allowed to have squirt guns.  The one time I bought one in high school, I had to throw it out the moment I got home.  My brother used to hide BB Guns under his bed but the moment my mom found out, away they went. 

I never understood why my mom did this but now that I have children of my own, I can see the reason.  My 3 year old daughter found a Kim Possible toy of the little blonde boy holding a cannon of some sort.  She came up to me and said "I'm going to shoot you mommy!  BANG!"  Needless to say it bothered me a lot!  There will be no squirtguns here.

My biggest worry is that before my husband and I had kids, we collected swords.  Granted, these are show weapons and nonfunctional but we now keep them hidden deeply in our closet or we placed them in storage.  Maybe one day, we can teach her (and her brother as he will be born in a week!) how to appreciate these swords as decorative items only. 
GrannyVicky
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:55 PM
My sons are 25 & 11 now and they have always played with guns..both even shot real guns at a young age but they both were taught about gun safety and always knew the difference in real guns & play ones.  My older son has a friend that at 16 had never touched a gun because his parens did not allow it and he was at a friends house that had guns and ask his friend to see it....he shot a hole thru the floor because he was so niave to guns.  If he had been allowed to learn about guns he would not have been such a danger to himself and others.     Just my opinion of course.   Anyway...I see nothing wrong with kids playing with guns if they are taught in the right way.
PoehlerBear1983
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 1:05 PM
I do allow my son to play with toy guns and swords but I will only buy ones that are extremely colorful that are not at gun or sword like.....He uses them to "HUNT" monsters lol....he knows he is not allowed to point the gun at people or animals not even as pretend and the same with the sword.  I think if you restrict it so much if they ever come across a real gun they will be more likely to get hurt by it because they will be much more curious....My son has seen a real gun that his grandfather has he knows that it is for adult and VERY dangerous.  He says it all the time if he sees something on TV in passing or even toy guns at stores that look like real guns..."Oooo that is DANGEROUS.....they shouldnt be in the toys thats not to play with!"  he doesnt realize that toy guns that looks like real guns are still in fact toys......my mom bought my nephew a cap gun and my son is scared of it because it makes the loud noise he will not even touch the thing....which i am very happy about!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)