Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do you discipline your child for hitting another sibling!

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM
  • 18 Replies
My daughter is 3 1/2 years old and continues to hit her big brother who is 7.  This happens at least 1-2 times a day.  The good thing is my son never hits his little sister.  I never had to tell him it was wrong, he just always new he should not hit her.  But I don't know how to discipline her for hitting him.  I tried a time out in a chair in the corner but it doesn't seem to help.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SpringBaby
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Just remove her from the area..she is not fully able to really understand that her brother doesn't like it..just tell her that is not nice...as she gets older you will be able to get a better grip on it.  But sitting her down and removing is a form of discipline and she will get the picture soon.

momof2girls05
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 5:58 PM
My 2 yr old is starting to pinch her 4 yr old sister.  It's hard to get the punishment right because if I don't the older one feels like she is punished more for naughty behavior.  So, I just do the standard time outs.  She is really starting to NOT like them and cries, but stays on the naughty chair.  Although, that doesn't usually stop her from tormenting the older one again a few minutes later!
mommaking
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:14 PM
My daughter just turned two...she gets sent to her room and she knows not to come out until she's ready to say sorry to her big brother.
TKsMommie
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM
She is absolutely old enough to understand this isnt acceptable.  I would take her from the area, give her a time out and tell she an come out when she is ready to apologize to her brother.  Also have your son, tell her ow, that hurts, or that wasnt nice or I'm upset you hit me, so he gets that he doesnt like it and it makes him upset.  3 year olds definitely get emotions of others so that might help.  If that doesnt work, take something away everytime she hits.

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll need it!!
kandycain
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:23 PM
when my 2.5 yr old hits his younger sister (she's just almost 7 months) i tell him NO and tell him that that Hurts her. he's her big brother and is supposed to Love her. i'll put him in time out (or spank him if it was Particularly mean or dangerous to her) and then tell him to apologize to her and give he ra kiss. he's gettng better about it. now when he hurts her, it's generally because he thinks she hurt him first (she'll kick at him or pull his ears or something), and he still gest the same thing. i tell him she was just trying to play with him and she's too little to know how yet.

~Kandace
amylynn91403
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:32 PM
well it looks like i'm the only one that spanks, oh well it's not the first time

the first time the girls do something mean to eachother they get a time out for their age

but the second time it happens they get 2 swats on the behind.

at any point in time they always get the talk about not hurting peole, and being nice, and that if they are mean to people they are not goign to want to play with them.

if after the second time they hit/bite/pinch/push/ or whatever again, they get 2 more swats on th ebehind and put to bed for a nap becuase they obviously need one.
sunnymom4boys
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:35 PM
My 2yo gets combative at times with his 6yo brother.  He is just frustrated...lack of communication, being smaller, not able to do something the older one can, whatever.  Give your child the words to use for whatever is frustrating them...find out what is wrong (toy taken away, sibling is in the way) and then give her words to use (say "Please move" or "Please give me the toy back.")  Of course this doesn't work all the time or things may have escalated before you have time to intervene.  At these times I use time out.  And every time the offender must apologize.
acrogodess
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:38 PM
Whenever my kids who are 4 and 6 start to hit each other, I tell them that if they cannot play together nicely they cannot play together at all and I make them separate. Nothing makes them want to play nicely more than me telling them they aren't allowed to play together. This has worked since my youngest was just over 3.
Tiffany040
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM
When my kids fight I make them tell eachother that they are sorry like they mean it and they have to hug... And when they get really mean they have to sit on the couch and hold hands for a few minutes... it seems to work........ Tiffany
sopranomommy
by on Jun. 5, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Mine sits in a kitchen chair, I set the microwave timer for 3 minutes and she knows not to get up until it beeps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN