Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Playtime on the Computer???

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:21 PM
  • 8 Replies
Okay, so I've mentioned in a reply to a previous post that my 2 1/2 yr old loves playing on the computer.  I let him play on Nickjr.com, Noggin.com, PBS.org, Playhousedisney.com..... they have loads of educational games & it is absolutely amazing how he plays!!!  He knows how to get to the websites by himself, he can use the mouse & keyboard like a pro....... IT'S GREAT!!!!  I do control the amt. of time he spends on it, but I think that it is a great way for him to spend his time........what do you guys think???
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
palinkasx6
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:23 PM
I think it's great! Sydney plays on the computer when she's bored. She loves it and is doing very well with it. I prefer her to play there than watch TV.
mandarose
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:24 PM
I'll have to check out these sites. thanks.
smadar
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Quoting palinkasx6:

I think it's great! Sydney plays on the computer when she's bored. She loves it and is doing very well with it. I prefer her to play there than watch TV.

i agree computer time is much better than watching tv. Bothmy kids love the computer. My daughter loves to play clifford and dora games on the computer
wifeairforce
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:27 PM
My son love computer time. I think its better than him sitting in front of the TV. He get to interact more with the computer. We work together on it too.
ldmrmom
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:27 PM
I think it's a great tool to get a child familiar with! My kids were both playing around on the computer (with us sitting with them) from the time they could sit up right. They now (they're 2 1/2 and weeks-shy-of-5)  able to play games on their own. They only go on when we give approval to be on and they only play "their" games for a specific amount of time.

We do a lot of non-viewing things. Games, running around, reading, etc. The computer is a nice compliment to the other stuff. They both LOVE the various phonics games we have (Clifford, Reader Rabbit, etc) and the basic skills games (Thomas, Clifford, Blues Clues). I do think, in addition to some nice hand-eye coordation work, these things have helped develop those basic academic skills to. Like I said, it's not ALL we do, but it is a compliment to what we do.

To illustrate the point - my son was introduced to the Clifford letter sounds game on the PBS kids web site at 15 months old. By 17 months old, he knew near every letter sound. He was able to pick out a bucket full of words on-sight and sound out simpler words at 2 1/2 years old. He's been reading comfortable on his own since shortly after his 4th birthday. There's a lot of reasons behind that -- but PART of that is certainly the computer games. My daughter isn't today where her brother was at that age....but she's most defintely ahead of where she should be in many areas. Part of that is her own preference/personality.
francesmh
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:31 PM
  My 5yr twins just started playing on the puter, I try and limit the time they're on to a half hr to an hr, they have five other siblings that want to use it too!
Saranicole04
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:33 PM
My daughter loves playing on the computer! I was also amazed at how well she does. She likes to play on nickjr.com and does everything herself although I like to play with her sometimes. But she listens to the character and does what they ask and plays the game solving the problems and finding stuff. I think she las learned some from it. She counts and and does alphabet games on some of them. Its nice. And better than tv to me. She is more involved.
CCMommy
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:33 PM
I think it is important that kids know how to use the computer. My daughter plays with the Reader Rabbit games, even though she doesn't really get it atleast she is getting the exposure. Many schools use computers for a lot of things, it will be benficial in the future that you child has that head start. Mostly everything you do requires a computer and it seems like you are monitoring him properly so he doesn't become a game addict!!! I thknhe is on the right start!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN