Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How Do you tell your child about the loss of a pet?

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM
  • 2 Replies
I am really bad with this. I told our daughter a few years ago that we had to give our Boxer away. I couldn't bring myself to tell her that  he really had been sick and passes away. She still thinks this too and it was four years ago.
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
kathrynsmomma03
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 12:56 PM
kathryns  had a couple hampsters who have died  i just told her  that they died and went to heaven so jesus  can play with them now
OtakuMom
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 1:02 PM
My mother had a German Shep/Akita mix for a number of years and, while his size was intimidating to my 3 year old, she still loved laying on him.  He was the sweetest dog I've ever seen.  He passed away about 6 months ago of old age and when we went to visit my mother, my daughter immediately ran to the patio door and started calling out to him.  His name was Rambo but she called him Bo-bo.  I couldn't think of a fluffy story to tell her so I told her that Rambo got old and had died.  Then she asked how he died and I told her that he was really sick and Grandma had to take him to the vet.  They gave him a shot that helped him sleep and he went to doggy heaven.  This seemed to satisfy her but she still asks Grandma about Bo-bo.  It was the hardest thing I've ever had to tell her.  I don't think it will go as easy when our Maltese mix passes on. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)