Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inappropriate bathing suits on preteen girls - your opinion!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:06 PM
  • 76 Replies
I recently went to our local pool and was absolutely dumbfounded by the dress of some preteen girls. 

Two issues, first the skimpiness of the suits (triangle tops, string tied bottoms) and second, there were more than a few heavy preteens wearing two pieces that were way too small or just the wrong suit for them.  Their bellys were hanging over their bathing suit bottoms; some had string bottoms and triangle tops.  I thought this to be completely inappropriate. 

I've tried to look at it at every angle, and still am disgusted.  Could it be that the parents are trying to instill confidence in their daughters or is it just the parents don't care?  By the way the parents were with these children.

What is your opinion?
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vanessadalton25
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:07 PM
I don't think the skinny preteen girls should be wearing those type of suits either. If I had a daughter I wouldn't let her. Too many pervs in the world.
mylittleangels1
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:09 PM
I think it is inappropriate even if the pre-teen is not heavy.  I do not see why a child at the age of 4 or 14 needs to be wearing a string bikini
armywifeandmomy
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:13 PM
I am not sure I should give my opinion because I tried this in another post and was yelled at but I have noticed at my pool back home before I moved that not only were the kids doing it but I saw a few mothers that were dressed the same way.  Something else that is inappropritae in my opinion is how they dress on a normal basis these over weight pre teens with the shirts that dont meet thier jeans and the hip hugger jeans that all thier fat is popping over the top.  I am very strict with my girls and what they wear and even though they are not over weight we dont allow those skimpy swim suits.  I feel tht thier parents should teach them to dress decently no matter what.  Sorry to whoever I upset
desertmommy
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:13 PM
I think it is kinda sad that they even produce bikinis for little girls.  I even see sorta skimpy ones for toddlers.  I have never bought one for my daughter.  I wasn't even allowed to wear a 2 piece untill I moved out on my own.  Just my 2-cents!
Evrgonachg
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM

Quoting desertmommy:

I think it is kinda sad that they even produce bikinis for little girls.  I even see sorta skimpy ones for toddlers.  I have never bought one for my daughter.  I wasn't even allowed to wear a 2 piece untill I moved out on my own.  Just my 2-cents!

What is really scary is that I swear, I saw thongs at Limited Too!
justanotherjen
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM
I don't pay much attention to what other people are wearing.  I refuse to let my girls where string bikinis.  And yes they make them for 4 and 6yos.  I have even seen something close for my 1yo.  The sad part is the patterns are so cute on the bikinis but I won't buy them.  The older girls do have 2 piece bathing suits but they are tankini style with full bottoms.  I'm sure it will be a battle when they are older and want to wear them but I do think they are inappropriate for girls to wear, especially at 12.

"I reject you reality and substitute my own."--Adam Savage (of Mythbusters)
adma845
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM
If the person wearing it is comfortable then I don't see anything wrong with it.  I have worn bikini's since I can remember and I don't see anything at all wrong With it.  If you don't like the way  someone looks then don't look at them.  I am not trying ot sdound rude but maybe that is why alot of girls get down on the way they look.
Tatermomma
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM
I don't think young girls should wear those little skimpy bathing suits either, all it does is send a " sexy " image to boys and men. Creating undue attention for those girls which may lead them down the wrong path.....I wasn't allowed to wear bathing suits like that when I was young and I don't now, I dunno you would think their parents would be concerned for their well-being when their wearing skimpy clothes.
tatou
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:20 PM
I think its really inapropriate and vulgar .. Shame on the parents also ...i wouldnt been caught dead in those skimpy suits at their age !!
Evrgonachg
by on Jun. 26, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Quoting adma845:

If the person wearing it is comfortable then I don't see anything wrong with it.  I have worn bikini's since I can remember and I don't see anything at all wrong With it.  If you don't like the way  someone looks then don't look at them.  I am not trying ot sdound rude but maybe that is why alot of girls get down on the way they look.

You have a great point.   I often wish I had the confidence to wear some of these outfits.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)