Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

work work work

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 12:57 AM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: How many mommy's here work?

Options:

Full time

Part time

Work from home

Stay at home mom

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

im so sorry its been so long that ive posted according to the cafemom team i have 4 posts so far so this should be 5th...i just started working again and cant believe how hard its been to adjust...i've been working 60 nhour weeks just to save enough money for my sons 3rd birthday i cant wait he'll be 3 in august and i want to throw him a blow out party....how do all the rest of you mommys feel about working and family life i would really like to know!!!
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drummerwife
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 1:51 AM

I work full time and so does my husband, but my kids are getting older now, they're 9 and 5.  When my oldest was little, my husband was an at-home dad until he got into school, and I got to stay home with my youngest for a couple of years.  I'd like to say I miss them terribly every day that I'm at work, but in reality I only miss them once in a while, usually I think of working as a paid vacation away from my kids.  I kind of enjoy having a break from them.  My husband is at home with them when I'm at work, so they don't ever have to go to a sitter.

ChelseySpelsey
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM
I work part-time at Blockbuster, and I am a full-time Pharmacy student.

Landon will be 3 in August as well so Im really excited about his b-day too, except that I am beginning a new semester on Monday, so my hours are going to be cut, and money is going to be tight. Ugh. Oh well, he's gonna know I love him regardless, right?

rachel92782
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM
Don't worry.  I didn't take offence to your post but it just brought this to mind.  I stay at home with kids but most of the time, I feel like I work harder than I did when I had a paying job.  I really hate when people say things like, "Do you work or do you just stay at home?"  It really bugs me!  Sorry.  I don't want to highjack ur post.  That just came to mind.

God Bless,

Rachel

ChelseySpelsey
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Quoting rachel92782:

Don't worry.  I didn't take offence to your post but it just brought this to mind.  I stay at home with kids but most of the time, I feel like I work harder than I did when I had a paying job.  I really hate when people say things like, "Do you work or do you just stay at home?"  It really bugs me!  Sorry.  I don't want to highjack ur post.  That just came to mind.

God Bless,

Rachel

Highjack. LOL. That made me laugh a little.
mrsjacki
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 2:14 AM
I'm an at home mom to a 4 year old and a 20 month old. I worked full time while I was pregnant with the baby, and I couldn't stand it. I missed my kid too much. Which I know, I'm a wienie :) And I've also worked nights in the past so I could stay home with them during the day. And it just got to be too much.  I wasn't sleeping much, so I was cranky and it just wasn't good for anyone. So we're making the best of it on one income (for the most part) and it's all working out pretty good.  I'm really lucky to be home with them 24/7.

mrscleaver
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 2:30 AM
Your kids are only young once so if you can stay home you will not regret it!  But due to the economy a family can barely exist on one income.  Young kids won't know and/or even remember the difference between a "blow out" party or a lot of friends/family, a cake and a few gifts. PS I always ask any woman "So do you work for money outside the home?" Cuz if you are a parent, you WORK 24/7 for FREE! :)
caitandcarasmom
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 12:00 PM
I am an SAHM mom right now. I resigned from my job as a prison librarian the day my 2nd daughter was born. My husband & I talked and it just didn't make sense for me to not get any maternity leave (other than un-paid FMLA, which we couldn't afford) and slave just to cover day care. I have since tried to go back to work but am having trouble finding anything that pays enough to make it worth my while. We've pretty much decided that I will stay home until our youngest (one in July) is weened and walking, so that her day care rates are lower. Actually, I may stay home until our oldest is in Kindergarten full day, next year. I do agree though, that being a full time SAHM is a lot more work than any salaried job I've ever had. There are days when I'd like to call in sick, but I can't.
Mommy22boys
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I worked full time outside the home until my oldest was about 2.5.  I didn't have much of a paycheck left after daycare, insurance, and taxes.  My dh & I decided that staying home with him for a while was a good idea since I'd only be working to pay someone else to raise my kid.  When we found out baby 2 was on the way, that decision was easier, cuz 2 kids cost more than one.  Now 2 years later, we've gotten used to living on one income and have managed even to save some money so we can take small vacations and day trips to amusements parks (we take advantage of discounts and free stuff!).  I've often thought about going back to work, just to get a break from home!  lol  BUt in the end I'd just end up doing that much more at home!  Now though we've also decided to homeschool, so that's one more thing added to an already busy day.  But I'm really happy we made that decision.

cutieluvs3
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 5:01 PM
i've been a stay at home home mommy for 3 years now, but recently i got a small side cleaning job to help my hubby w/ bills.  I LOVE IT, i get an hour and a half away from home for three days every week, AND get paid.  But i think what i love even more is the fact of knowing that when i'm at work daddy can bond more with our kids when he watches them.

Marriage Support Group Owner:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/forbetterorworse

CEO of household Group Owner: for stay at home mothers w/out the MAMA DRAMA!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ceoofhousehold

amandasrainbow
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 5:16 PM
I worked with 4 of my kids; I worked for the first year and a half with my 5th.
I am grateful to be a sahm.
Good Evening;
Amanda
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)