Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Story time at the library

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 7:27 AM
  • 9 Replies
I just signed my daughter up for story time at the library.  I have a friend who goes, and she says alot of the other moms are "holier than thou" types.  I want my daughter to make friends, but I dont want to have to deal with the nasty parents. 
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommy2asm
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 8:13 AM
I think she would love to go there.  I wouldn't worry too much about the parents.  Our story hour isn't so bad.
ElLu
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 8:22 AM
Give it a shot....if it's like that they don't go back.  I know what you mean about "holier than thou" the area I live in is a lot like that.  Make sure your kids have the right clothes and go to all the right programs, it's exhausting.  I gave up on that after my first daughter turned two.
DAWNMC
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM
I take my daughter to the library about once a week....she loves to pick books.
We usually miss story time....she has been to it, but all the kids are around the story teller..and the parents are usually looking for books.
I have not seen many parents looking for "friends" at the library...it is usually "hi" and "bye"....
We just had Ronald McDonald visit our library for "story time"....I got my daughters picture in the paper (4th time in 3 1/2 years). I always send in pictures and they put them in! Pretty neat!
Ryno
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 5:49 PM
My girls absolutely LOVE story hour at the library!!  My oldest was disappointed that she had to go to kindergarten and her sister got to go to story hour!  I got a few of my friends with kids to sign them up at the same time and we sort of made a day of it.  We kept the littlest ones with us while the ones that were old enough went to hear the story.  Afterwards we sometimes went to McDonalds or had a picnic in the park.  I have met a few really nice moms at the library and story hour is a great program to set your kids up for school without going to preschool.  The best part is that it's FREE!!!!!

I have met some of "those" moms too.  We just don't run with that crowd.
momofla
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 6:03 PM
I would go. The other moms have to understand, if it gets too much you can always leave and try again another time.  I am also planning on taking my 2 year to the library. They have so  much to offer!!
Sparkles5175
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 6:42 PM
I used to be a children's librarian, and I can tell you from experience that, like every place you take your child, you will have different types of moms (and kids!). Don't let it bother you - you are there for your child. Storytime is a wonderful way to introduce your child to the love of reading and libraries.
Charbear24
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 6:50 PM
You know I felt like that too when I enrolled my daughter in her first dance classes. I just had Megan so I am still chunky, and I am lucky I get here there on time! So I feel like the other moms judge me when I go in looking a little dissheveled, I felt this way until one of the other moms came over and started talking to me and telling me she remembered what is what like when she had her second and third child. She explained we do this for our kids, not for ourselves, who cares what the other moms say or how they act.  I know not exactly what you are dealing with, but similair! Hang in there and remember you don't have to invite those women over for dinner, just smile as your child enjoys her story time! :)
busyteacher
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM
My children ages 2, 5, and 7 absolutely love story time at the library unless it gets too crowded and then we just leave.  Most of the moms we run into our friendly but we do occasionally get nasty looks if our ADHD child gets a little too rowdy.  Oh well, it's for the children parents need to learn to be accepting of all kinds of people.  Give it a try.
amandasrainbow
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM
You are so right about lots of the parents who attend these programs.
It's nice your friend is taking your child.
Amanda
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)