Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Excelling

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 10:35 PM
  • 4 Replies
my oldest daughter does exceptional in school and some have talked about her skipping grades. Is it right for me to advance her while she is still so young or should I wait until she is old enough to decide herself if she wants to make that move?
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
zklara
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM
I would only advance grades if she is socially able to move as well as academically.  But if not socially ready then make the school challenge her.  Cause if she gets board she might start to cause trouble.  My son was very under challenged it Preschool and he wouldn't listen to teachers and in-turn was a distraction to the other students.  He is going into Kindergarten, but he is doing 1st grade work.  he is not socially ready for 1st. So I will have to stay on the teacher to keep up with his academics.  Hope that helps.  Good Luck!
JonesMama
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 10:54 PM
I would sit down and write out the pros and cons of the switch and decide what you think would be best. I think it's fine for you to make the choice now, rather than leaving it up to her later on.
spa4life
by on Jun. 30, 2007 at 10:59 PM

hi! my daughter is excelling also & she is only two.. when I was 4, I started kindergarten (back then you started at 5) it totally backfired for me. well not until high school - the rest of the time i was in a/p classes on the honor society. but in highschool.. I definately tried to play stupid.. had more friends in the group below me. it was tough. I am torn on how to keep my daughter moving on to advanced levels. i want her to live & explore, but also excel & keep her wanting more.. not wanting her to feel different. its tough though. she is really advanced & even some of her playmates havent reached her level.. i am going to play it by instinct. I will try and gauge it by her if it comes to that! =) goodluck!!

amandasrainbow
by on Jul. 1, 2007 at 5:42 PM
That's a personal decision; I can see the benifiets of this. I can also see the stress on the child.
Good luck in making this decision; it's a hard one !
Good Evening;
Amanda
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN