Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Public or Privite

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 10:54 AM
  • 27 Replies

I was wondering what you all thought about public schools.  My son is in the first grade he is currently enrolled in a wonderful public elementary school but I do not what him to go to our public middle school and high school.  Neither my husband nor myself had any problems in the schools but I know plenty for parents as well as my sibling who had problems in the schools or have children who are having problems.  My husband feels that we should allow our children to go to public schools unless they have a problem in the school, but I think after he graduates from this elementary school we should switch him and my daughter(who will attend this elementary next year) to a private school.  My husband feels that we can not shelter them from everything, I don't feel by doing this I am sheltering them, but that I'm insuring that they get the best education with out a lot of the public school drama.  ( I know there will be drama in private schools as well, even in this Christian private school.)  What do you all think?
Thanks
Brandi

by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessicaEOH
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:23 AM
I think the kids will be fine in public schooling...they will learn if they want to...I went to public schools, and I just kept myself away from the people that didn't value school like I did...If you take him away, he will also have to make all new friends, I don't know how important that is to you...

Two years and counting!!! 

Daisypath Ticker

Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

CadencesMommy06
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:25 AM
I went to private school from K-8th, and so will my daughter. It is a catholic school. I want her to learn about her religion like I did. I see nothing wrong with public schools though.
xxKRYSxx
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:27 AM
Kids are kids...I don't think the drama will be any less in a private school, but do what makes you feel comfortable. I would also put into consideration of the area you live in. Where my husband and I live now, I wouldn't mind putting my children in the public school system as it is the best in the county, but if we were to move somewhere else where I felt the school system was inadequate...then I would enroll them in a private school.

workingmom3
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:29 AM

You and I think alike. I highly recommend private school if possible.  My son went to private school for 3 years beginning with preschool through Kindergarten.  We transferred him to public school for 1st grade and his behavior changed along with his grades.  He did not get the best education obviously and the school/teachers have a great lack of communication.  I was also concerned with his safety.  Now this is my opinion from my experience with this school.  I am sure that there are lots of great public schools in other areas.  However, our decision is too transfer him back to private school so that he gets the discipline and education he deservers.  Along withe the attention due to smaller classes.  I love private shool and to me its worth the $$ for my childrens education. 
monique324
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:29 AM
My daughter goes to a private school and I really dig small class sizes.
brandikay
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:30 AM
Him making friends is very important to me, that is the only hesitation I had about switching him in the third grade.  But here in the 4 grade all the elementry schools combine and he will have to get to know many more kids.  Thank for your thoughts, they are both very laid back but already they are learning good values, I also think they will do well in public or privite, I just want to do whats right for them.
Thanks
Brandi
mikeslouie
I will have my kids in public school.  It is just because of most everything I exprienced in school was wonderful like my years in marching band, pep rallies and all kids of fun things, yes there was bad things at my hs but I made it!! I learned alot!
Rachell9503
I went to a Christian private school for 2 years. It is really nice! They'd learn alot more then just school work in there. Discipline, respect......

~Rachel~ Momma to:

Ryliesmomma
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:32 AM
I went to a private, Christian school most of my life w/ an exception of a few years in public school. I personally did better w/ a private school. I suffered from ADHD and needed the more one on one attention that a private school can offer better than a public school. Not all public schools are overcrowded like mine were though. I went from have 45 kids in a class to 14. It helped w/ my grades tremendously!
beccan
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:34 AM
I homeschool my kids!!

Have a Blessed day
~GOD~bless

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)