Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was wondering what you all thought about public schools.  My son is in the first grade he is currently enrolled in a wonderful public elementary school but I do not what him to go to our public middle school and high school.  Neither my husband nor myself had any problems in the schools but I know plenty for parents as well as my sibling who had problems in the schools or have children who are having problems.  My husband feels that we should allow our children to go to public schools unless they have a problem in the school, but I think after he graduates from this elementary school we should switch him and my daughter(who will attend this elementary next year) to a private school.  My husband feels that we can not shelter them from everything, I don't feel by doing this I am sheltering them, but that I'm insuring that they get the best education with out a lot of the public school drama.  ( I know there will be drama in private schools as well, even in this Christian private school.)  What do you all think?
Thanks
Brandi

by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 10:54 AM
Replies (21-27):
bryannamommy
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Our daughter will be 3 in a couple of weeks and we have already decided that we don't won't her in the public school in our area.  If the school district won't let us transfer her to another school we will put her in a private school when that time comes.

bryannamommy

Cami79
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 12:21 PM

Quoting AnnaMom71:

Publc because we can't afford private

Same here. I REALLY wish my son could go to private or that we could at least move to a better school district. Once I finish school we will be able to move to an area with better schools. In the meantime, I just have to suppplement his education at home.
scmom29054
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 12:24 PM
  It definitely depends on the schools in your area. And the needs of your child. I' from the north but I live in SC now and I'm concerned bout the level of education for the whole state. While some districts are better than others, the whole state is still ranked really low for the country. ( I think we're like 39th or lower).
  My son is going into 3rd grade and he's in TAG but I still worry that if he wants to go to better colleges he'll find himself behind. So I do a lot of work with him at home(spelling math etc). Even if he's not learning it in school.
bourriquet76
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 12:28 PM
We are going with private school for a multitude of reasons.

We live in a great public school district and I can see our elementary from our patio, but it's just not what I want.  We are opting for a smaller Christian school instead, that matches more what I want for my daughter's education.
krise
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 12:40 PM
For us, public school is for the best.

kelbeltx
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 12:49 PM
We'd like to send our boys to a private Christian school - I hope we can afford it! We're trying to start saving now so maybe we can make it happen.
RoseQueen0304
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Quoting scmom29054:

It definitely depends on the schools in your area. And the needs of your child. I' from the north but I live in SC now and I'm concerned bout the level of education for the whole state. While some districts are better than others, the whole state is still ranked really low for the country. ( I think we're like 39th or lower).
  My son is going into 3rd grade and he's in TAG but I still worry that if he wants to go to better colleges he'll find himself behind. So I do a lot of work with him at home(spelling math etc). Even if he's not learning it in school.
I am reading off the same page as you.  I agree with everything you said.

The choices that I've made of sending Alex to a private christian school are based on my research.  We are in Louisiana, our public school testing falls far below the national average.  Since Alex has tested gifted, I felt that putting him in our local public schools where disapline is a major problem and 1/2 the teachers are not even certified in their subjects would be a huge step backwards. 

I too spend quite a bit of time doing home schooling in addition to what is done in classes to help support his success.  We have 2 Teacher Stores within driving distance of our house and as soon as we finish a lesson plan, we find a new one. 

Laura 

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -Helen Keller

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)