Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Having trouble getting my 4 year old son to pick up his room

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 10:59 AM
  • 15 Replies
My son will make a mess in his room and when I tell him to pick it up he won't.  I've tried staying on him about it, I feel like I"m constantly saying something to him about it.  I've just picked it up myself on occasion, and I've even threatened to take toys away but it's like he doesn't hear me sometimes when I say it.  I've also tried picking up stuff together but still don't  know how to get him to take care of it.  He's going into pre-k this year and will be 5 in September, I'm losing my mind with him not listening to me about this and other things.  Any Suggestions????
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbieMomof2
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:01 AM
My son can be the same way.  My solution....I quickly make like 4 piles of toys out of the mess.  Then I set the timer for maybe 3 minutes....he has 3 minutes for each pile.  It turns it into a game and he does great with it!
Kristin11
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:01 AM

I make a game out  of it. I ask for a item and my daughter puts it in the matching color box. (i bought tupperware boxes with lids in several colors). We also sing the clean up song.

MMBK
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:02 AM
My daughter who is almost 5 did this sometimes and still does so we tell her we will throw them away and get a big garbage bag and start loading toys in it - esp her favorites...she learned.
JustJamie
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:03 AM
We recently started a new project in our house.

Every night after dinner the girls have to go upstairs and clean their playroom and their rooms. They tell us when hey are done. Then DH goes up there with an empty box. If there is anything on the floor, it goes in the time out box.

The first few nights, DH helped them clean so they would get the idea. Then he left them alone to clean and then would go up and help them finish. Next he let them do it all themselves and put the toys in time out.

At first my oldest didn't care if the toys went into time out. She rather that then clean. But then all her toys started going into time out. Soon her special toys. Now she cares and now she cleans.

Just something to try. Good luck.
brandikay
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:04 AM
I have to make cleaning a game.  And I reward him with stickers and once they get so many they win what ever prize we came up with
Good Luck
Brandi kay
debra_benge
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:04 AM
I had the same problem.  Until I actually DID take toys away.  He realized that I meant what I said, and now, when I tell him to clean his room he does, most of the time.  He'll fight it sometimes, and I'll tell him he has a certain amount of time, or I'm coming in with a trash bag.  Once I take the toys away, unless they have special meaning or something like that, he doesn't get them back.  We give them to good will.  He's got very few toys now, and it only takes a few minutes for him to clean his room.  He doesn't seem to miss the toys at all.  All he plays with anyway is his matchbox cars and his legos.

If it floats your boat, happy sailing!!

Mawmy
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:06 AM
I love all these ideas!

I give my son a quarter that he can put in his piggy bank for everytime he cleans his room.  I do this to teach him rewards and also saving.. he loves to save his money.. then at the end of the month he gets to get some out for a suprise!
MamaP2boyz
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:09 AM
sometimes little ones need to be taught.  what we have to do with ours because he trashes his room everyday is give him a specific task and set a timer.  for example "michael mommy is setting the timer for 2 minutes.  Please go up and pick up your blocks"  this breaks it into smaller tasks so he dosn't get overwhelmed.  sometimes they don't know where to start.
amandarene25
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:16 AM
Hi There!!! I know about this subject and it is very challening...My 4 yr old son will turn 5 in Nov and I have some everyday struggles with him but he is getting better... I have recently found that like maybe a month ago we both went in there and had me and him time cause I just had a new little boy on June 12th so he has been going through a jealousy state but getting better , but back to the topic we went in his room and I sat down on his floor and we started going through toy boxs with lots of mixed up stuff like building blocks...the small ones and the big ones...game pieces....hot wheel cars you name it everything that was suppose to be in a catogaroy in it's own place wasn't. So once again we seperated all of them and cleaned his room together and he thought that was great and he helped out so much. Since then I will look in his room and say "Joshua you need to pick up alittle and clean your room like mommy and you cleaned it up that one night. And sometimes it takes awhile to get him to do it. But if that's the case we'll say ok i guess were throwing toys away or he will loose his cartoons or there is always a consquence if he chooses not to listen or he will say " i will do it later well that don't work eiether then all i say is ok then you can watch cartoons later after your room is picked up. Or if there's something he really wants to do then I will be like ok is your room picked up? So it's a struggle but I can say after we cleaned his room last he has kept almost everything together in there own category which I'm proud and I even got him putting his own laundry away in the exact same drawer there suppose to go...Keep trying they will learn and good luck!!!!
mom2-2
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 11:18 AM
I always tell my daughter you ick up everything blue. then yellow etc etc and she loves that plus it teaches colors. Or you could do shapes whatever works!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN