Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Pacifiers!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 11:30 PM
  • 28 Replies

When my daughter was 3yrs old we took the pacifier from her, she is now 4.  Here's my concern I have noticed (not recently but since the pacifier was taken) that she still sucks either on her tongue or the roof of her mouth (but i think it's her tongue).  it sounds just like she's sucking on a pacifier.  She only does it when she is sleepy.  Has anyone had their child pick up some strange habits once the pacifier was taken?

by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybugg0210
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 11:34 PM

My dd used to suck on her arm after I took the paci away.  She would do it whenever she would have uses her paci, when she was sleepy, sad, scared...   She would get 'sucker marks' on her arm from it.  She is 8 now and hasn't done it in a while, but she did it until she was about 6 or so.

KRISSY2988
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 11:40 PM

nope but I also took it away from him at 1 1/2

Necca
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Good post  I'll be checking in to see what the other moms have to say. I'm debating on if I should take the pacifier away from my baby at 21 months.

Everyone is telling me to take her off before she gets 2 but she cries for it  and if i hide it she looks for it, so I continue to give it to her.

bump

amandasrainbow
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 7:47 AM

My kids stopped taking the pacifier about 1; but---- they did take up different things; my youngest now plays with her belly button to go to sleep !

rocamom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2008 at 7:51 AM
My kids didn't but I took it away early. (1 yr) my nephew however went from the pacifier at 3 almost 3 1/2 to his fingers which you can't take away. Sometimes he even sucks or chews on his blanket. His teeth are probably doing to need braces but we love him. I don't know if he's seen a dentist yet. It sounds like just a strange habbit because she misses that sucking action. I'm sure she's fine,. It's like smoking. When you quit you still need the hand to mouth action so most people use gum. Well with her it's the sucking action she misses.

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

emily351982
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM

My son just recently got off of the pacifier (he'll be 2 just before Christmas).  I've noticed he's been chewing on his blankey sometimes now but I don't know if it's because of that or not.

mama_of_2_boys
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 8:04 AM
you should (not judging or being rude just so you know) take the pacifier away earlier than this! if it is taken away early a lot of times they dont pick up bad habits. like sucking a thumb (like i said sometimes) or anything. my oldest got his binky taken when he was 1 my lil one never took one. but i took his bottle from him by 12mo. he was on a sippy cup instead. im just saying it is bad for their teeth to keep a binky and ends up developing bad habits. like i said im not bashing just suggesting!
Quoting Necca:

Good post  I'll be checking in to see what the other moms have to say. I'm debating on if I should take the pacifier away from my baby at 21 months.

Everyone is telling me to take her off before she gets 2 but she cries for it  and if i hide it she looks for it, so I continue to give it to her.

bump

The Loves of my life!!!! My CRAZY boys!

3KIDSLOVE
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 8:07 AM
Kids usually do pick up something else when they get their pacifier taken away. It's totally normal!
mommab679
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 8:13 AM

My daughter was never on a pacifier I learned that mistake from my son , but when she was sleeping and she was done breastfeeding she would suck her bottom lip. She is 16 months and still does it when she is sleepy.

lu2o4
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 8:16 AM

I took it way from my daughter at that time.... actually she lost it and I wasnt about to go buy her another one so I told her that "I said if you lost it again thats it... no more passy.  I cant find it so tonight you will have to go to sleep without one and I cant buy another one." she went straight to sleep with no problem. she wasnt too attatched to it anyways, she mainly used it for her teeth and to go to sleep. oh and she didnt pick up any bad or other habbets to replace it.

Quoting Necca:

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN