Question: Is anyone else having this problem?




Only CafeMom members can vote on polls. Click here to login or register.

Total Votes: 2

View Results

I'm am so lost on what to do next. I have a 18 month old and I have been in this battle for child support for over a year. I am a full time student and the only person that has anything to do with her on his side of the family is his mom. I went to DHS for the child support and we had a court case and everything he was even issued the amount he is to pay. So his dad got a lawyer and got him put on SSI. I got a letter from DHS telling me there was nothing they could do because of this and I need to go through the social security office. Now they are telling me there is nothing they can do. His dad had me sign a paper last week stating that Ben receives SSI and that I will also be receiving it for my daughter. Now I don't know what to do. It makes me so mad that he can just go out and have kids and not have to pay any form of support. I don't agree that the government should have to pay either but right now I am in a situation where I just need assistance. I have one year left in school and I feel now I have to go work at walmart or some other low paying job and stay getting food stamps and everything else just to survive. I can't live on student loans for the next year. Does anyone know if there is something I can do. He has another kid and they took her through the ringer in court. I am afraid of his dad, he knows all the loop holes and how to work "the system."

Add A Comment


Jun. 3, 2008 at 3:03 PM Im sorry that you are going through it my sons father owes me over  three thousand dollars and I tell them were he lives and they say that the postal ser has not verified that he lives there and with out a good address they can not serve him (WTF go knock on the door and hand it to him) it sucks how men can get away with having kids and not have to take care of them I offered to have him sign away his parental rights (he took me to court to see my son instead of knocking on my door and when it came time to get him he never showed up) but untill i get married and my new husband adopts him their is nothing I can do about it the system sucks well I wish you luck!!!!!

Message Friend Invite

Jun. 3, 2008 at 3:14 PM     all I know is that an attorney can file for contempt if it's in a court order signed by a judge.  there are free consultations to talk to an attorney if you just call and ask them.  I cant get alot done thru DHS but they told me an attorney can.   just apply for assistance, giving them all his info and realize it will take time.    I was single with two kids, went to school and had a job to repay school for free education.  I got some help from DHS and was on my feet (not w/o struggles) before too long.    You can' t rely on anyone but yourself so you have to put that out of your mind and find other ways to help yourself.  My ex father in law did that kind of crap too.  They know it gets you down.  They love it.   

Message Friend Invite

Jun. 3, 2008 at 3:18 PM I am from Oklahoma and I thought if you are enrolled in school at least half time then you qualify for food stamps and stuff....have they told you NO?   just wondering...

Message Friend Invite

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in