Dear friends and family,
Before I start allow me to apologize in advance. This is going to be long.
Growing up, I was always told that you should never discuss politics or religion in mixed company. Apparently, this rule of thumb does not extend to the virtual world (aka: myspace, emails, Facebook, etc). (note: I do not have a problem with journals, blogs or bulletins as they are not addressed to me directly) I have been bombarded lately with emails and/or myspace/CM messages pertaining to politics, religion, race and any number of other topics. I typically don't mind at all. I am, after all, a huge proponent for every single American's right to the freedom of speech ;) If I don't agree with something, I just delete it. Problem solved, right?
Not always and here's where I end up having a problem.... I try very hard to NOT send political or religious emails DIRECTLY to my friends and family if I know that said email may be offensive to them, personally. I have absolutely no doubt that all of you would extend that same courtesy to me. I'm guessing, however, that most of you don't even know what I may or may not believe in or hold as ‘my truth'. I have a tendency to be fairly restrained on those subjects with anyone other than immediate family members.
Well......... that restraint ends here! Lmao To avoid any future confusion on who exactly I am and what exactly I believe I have compiled a short list that I shall call: "Just who is this mysterious person we know as Ter'esa" J
Drum roll, please...........
- I am, first and foremost, for Liberty. I believe in our Constitution and all of the opportunities that it affords us as citizens of this wonderful country. That means ALL of us. The Constitution does not (and should not) discriminate based on color, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
- I do not believe that you must agree with or support your government in order to be a ‘patriot'. "Dissent is the greatest form of patriotism", after all. (Thomas Jefferson)
- I firmly (and I mean FIRMLY) believe in the separation of church and state. Religion holds no place in politics. Period. The United States is not a Christian Nation. If a church wants to be involved in politics~ they should pay taxes. I, and others like me, should not be governed by anyone else's religious doctrine.
- I am not a Christian. I do not believe in or adhere to organized religion in any form.
- HOWEVER, I will fight until my last breath for YOUR right to worship under any religion that you so choose (or not)~ I don't care whether you are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Atheist or a Satan worshipper. I will fight for your freedom of religion.
- I will also fight for your freedom from religion.
- I support gay rights and will continue to fight for the equal rights for ALL Americans that are guaranteed by our Constitution. This most certainly does include same-sex marriage.
- I do not support the death penalty in any way, shape or form. Ever. I can out-fact and out-debate just about anyone on this topic.
- I am not a Republican.
- I am not a Democrat.
- I am an Independent. I would say I am militantly independent~ your truth is not absolute and neither is mine. I don't believe in absolutes~ hence: independent. J
- I do not support this country's "war on drugs". I believe that drugs should be legalized and taxed.
- I am pro-choice.
- I do not support racist propaganda in any way, shape or form. This includes racism against middle-eastern people of any decent (aka in the US: Muslims :/)
- I support prison reform and rehabilitation of drug offenders instead of incarceration.
- I do not support the war in Iraq. There is no talking me into it. Bush lied (so did Rove, Cheney, Rummy.... Even Powell, unfortunately L ) and we all know it. Or at least we should.
- I do not support the idea that Muslims are A) all terrorists or B) "hate us for our freedoms. A) Muslims don't hate us. Islamist extremists hate us. And B) they don't hate us for our freedoms. They hate us for our foreign policy.
- On that subject.... I do not support any politician who considers Israel to be one of our ‘greatest allies'. They are a terrorist nation and they are the main reason that said Islamist extremists hate us.
- I support freedom of speech~ for everyone... even the scumbags.
- I do not support a two-party system and think that third parties should be fairly and equally represented. Why should we get to pick from 50 people for Miss America, but only TWO for POTUS?! Makes no sense to me. ;)
- I do not believe in over-taxation, but I also do not believe that 1% of our population should hold 50% of the wealth AND get tax cuts for doing so. Classism is as dangerous as racism, sexism or religious bigotry and should be recognized as such.
- Our school systems across this country are ridiculously (I'm being polite here) inadequate. Complete reform of the system (nationwide) is necessary~ and immediately.
- Religion does not belong in our school. If you want religion in your child's education~ put them in a private school or homeschool. (this includes prayer AND creationism)
- I support the 2nd amendment.
- I believe that the Patriot Act is the biggest disgrace and human/civil rights violation ever perpetrated on American citizens. I do not support our current ‘homeland security' agenda: RFID chips, Real ID, Patriot Act, secret detentions, etc.
- I do not support torture in any way, shape or form. This includes waterboarding and rendition.
Okay, so I think that about sums me up. I think I just about covered everything I could think of right off the top of my head. If there's anything I left out~ well, just ask me. J I am going to hit ‘send' now and this will be going out to all of my friends and family. I will also be posting it on Myspace and Cafemom (in case someone misses it lol)
I really hope that no one personalizes this mass email. I am very politically involved this year. I blog frequently and I DO feel free to share my political and religious opinions in my blog or bulletins as they are impersonal and public domain. I have found that many people have a tendency to personalize my blogs instead of taking them for what they are: me expressing myself and spreading awareness on topics that are important to me. This email is an attempt to fix that problem. We are ALL entitled to our opinions. We should ALL be speaking out about what is important to us. We should ALL be socially and politically conscious. All I am looking for here is a level playing field. I support your right to post blogs or email me with anything that lets me know what you support or believe in. I hope that all of you would afford me the same opportunity.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." ~Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.
One disclaimer: I will not tolerate emails or blogs containing racism or religious bigotry. We are all entitled to freedom of speech, but I will delete and/or block anything that contains hatred of this kind out of respect for my fellow man.
Blessed Be everyone!
Check out some of the top posts today in Groups:
Blue Lives DON'T MATTER...
Current Events & Hot Topics
Debbie Wasserman Schultz Not Speaking at DNC Convention
Current Events & Hot Topics
Black Lives Matter protester rejects Oakland police's offer to BBQ together
Is this bad?
I will never understand why teachers ask us to buy their supplies