Ok, so we are in Oklahoma now.  The day after Christmas our entire family - aunts, uncles, cousins, you get the picture - were all at my parent's house.  They have a huge house, 2-story with a wrap-around porch on both floors.  So my oldest (9 years old) and his cousin that is about the same age are playing, and we suddenly hear screams - I can tell it is my son screaming.  I SHOVE my brother (6'5" and about 250 lbs) out of the way and race outside.  Jackson is laying on the ground  on his back with his legs drawn up, screaming that he fell off the porch - from the 2nd floor.  In case you don't remember, our health insurance expired 4 days earlier, but this is not the time to worry about that, so we called 911.  The police show up after about 5 minutes, then the ambulance.  The paramedic (is it paramedic or EMT?  anyone know the difference?) tells us the closest Children's Hospital is about 90 miles away in Tulsa, and they have called for a helicopter to fly him there.  I'm totally freaking out by now, but I'm trying to stay calm so I don't freak my big guy out any worse than he already is.  I get to ride in the ambulance, but there isn't enough room on the helicopter so I explain to Jackson that he will be going by himself.  He seems ok with it, I think because he hurts so badly.  I have to watch them move my baby from the ambulance, where he is strapped to a back board with a neck brace, carry him across the soccer field where the helicopter landed, and load him in the helicopter.  Then I have to watch him fly away without me.  He was wearing a blue striped shirt, and I watched those stripes until they were out of sight.

***darn, we have to leave so I will finish up later - to be continued...***

Sorry, had to go visit new our brand new niece at the hospital.  Ok, so I have to watch my child fly away on a helicopter with strangers.  Then my mother hands my husband the keys to her new Mercedes and we FLY to Tulsa.  The helicopter only beat us by about 30 minutes.  My baby is in the ER Trauma section getting head to toe x-rays.  All they can tell us so far is his heels aren't broken, then off we go for CT scans.  So after my baby has been strapped to the back-board for about 5 hours, they feel he is stable enough to take him off the board.  They unstrap him and roll him off the board and about a hundred acorns fall off his back!  He had dozens of acorns stuck to his back from when he landed on the ground, and they were underneath him the entire time he was strapped to the back board!  He was still in a lot of pain, so they gave him some morphine, which broke my heart - just knowing my baby was in so much pain that he needed morphine.  A few more hours go by, and we finally get all of his results when the Dr comes in to see us.  He had bruised heels, 2 sprained ankles, a horribly bruised tailbone, whiplash, and some mild head trauma, but miraculously NO BROKEN BONES.

Whoever it is that you pray to - God, Allah, Yawa, Buddha, the Flying Spaghetti Monster - he heard our prayers that night.  My baby could have easily ended up injured for life, but he was able to hobble away with a badly bruised butt.  And as for the bill, our insurance company let us know that for the low price of one month of COBRA coverage (approximately $400) they will cover the helicopter and the ambulance 100% (approximately $10,000).  Once again, although it looks bad on the surface, I understand how unbelievably lucky my family has been.  I am incredibly thankful and incredibly humbled by the grace bestowed on our lives.  I hope you all have a blessed New Year.

Add A Comment


Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM

How awful for you and your son.  Please keep me posted.  Sending prayers up for Jackson.

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I hope he is doing well, will check back in later to find out. 

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Prayers for Jackson & you!  Please let us know as soon as you can how he is......love,hugs&prayers, Sheila

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Oh LAURA! My thoughts are with you guys!!  ((((HUGS))))  I"m sending you all the good energy I have!!!  Keep me posted, and remember to breath!



Message Friend Invite

Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:56 AM

What an amazing story.  It brought me to tears.  I'm so glad he's okay, and I bet that was beyond terrifying for all of you.  Big hugs...oh, and welcome to Oklahoma.

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 3, 2009 at 5:51 AM

I am so glad to hear he is OK!! What a miracle! I'll give my two an extra big hug in the morning because of reading your story!

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 10, 2009 at 9:44 AM

My thoughts are with you!

Message Friend Invite

Jan. 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

OMG! I feel so bad for you guys. I am glad there was a happy ending. You sure do have a black cloud over youguys. Hopefully it will pass you. Send Jackson our best to a speedy recovery.Keep in touch, Laura.

Message Friend Invite

Want to leave a comment and join the discussion?

Sign up for CafeMom!

Already a member? Click here to log in